G S Moon Buggy

FIESTA51

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help. I have a 260cc G S Moon Buggy and it wont start? It sound like the starter motor but after fitting a new starter its still the same. Plenty of life in the battery but the engine doesnt even turn over? Just makes a noise from the starter?

I have taken the cover of and checked the starter is connected to the gears and it all looks fine?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Drew

Phaeton

Staff member
When you say
Just makes a noise from the starter?
do you mean whirring noises or clicking noises? Have you tried to remove the starter from the housing, have it connected to the electrics, may need to earth it out with a jump lead & then press starter, does it spin up then? If no then it's an electrical problem, if yes then it's probably a mechanical problem. Do you have a multimeter & a willing helper?

I know nothing about GS Moon's but advice above is standard on any vehicle

Alan..
p.s. Welcome to the site.

FIESTA51

Hi Alan,

I also know nothing about GS Moons but I am sure am gona learn a lot from this one. Have tested the starter and it it turning.  ???

Drew

FIESTA51

the noise is from the starter spinning. but engine does not turn over? As said the started does turn fine when tested?

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay Drew,

If the starter motor spins then next logical set is to prove the GS engine turns & that is not seized up. Or it could be the gearbox, so as said know nothing about them, so basics, is it an automatic gearbox or is it manual? Does it have a 'proper' clutch or a varimatic one, can you push/move the buggy?

Alan...

FIESTA51

Hi Alan,

Its automatics. You can move the buggy by pushing it.  It was working fine up until a few weeks ago. Just went to start it and nothing happend? was hoping the new starter motor would fix it. With the gear box cover over I tried turning it over and all the cogs seem to move okay?

I am not sure about the type of clutch?

Phaeton

Staff member
As said next we have to prove the engine can turn over, without seeing ii it's difficult to advise how to do it. But that is the next logical step, with it being aan automatic that isn't easy, unless you can get onto the end of the crank.

Alan...