Gear linkage

RichardG

The gear linkage on my buggy has always been an issue - made several tweaks and changes over the years but was never happy with it. After doing my recent engine swap I found the gear change was even worse. I guess the new engine must just sit slightly different angle.

So I decided to go back to basics and try and fix the problem.

The key is remove as much play and slack in the joints as possible. I have done a couple of things:

1. the sleeve that fits on the crook end of the gear rod is normally held with a pinch bolt - I removed the bolt and welded it solid.
2. The other end of the sleveve that fits over the gear selector rod coming out of the gearbox is also held with a pinch bolt ot roll pin. I drilled and tapped the sleeve and fitted a grub screw/bolt to lock it up and take out the slack.
3. At the other end where the crook rod joins the gear leaver the joint is also normally held by a pinch bolt and it is hit and miss where to drill the hole for the pinch bolt so I welded a nut on one end and some threded rod to the other. Add a lock nut and it is now a fully adjustable set up and is solid with no play.

Some pictures will help to see what I mean.

http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... 20linkage/

I am really pleased with the results - gearchange is now so much better.

Phaeton

Staff member
Looking good Richard, you ought to consider turning the gear change round as well, I think that make a difference. Also I now have the normal engine steady on, the standard lower/gearbox steady. But in addition I have a lower gearbox steady at the back on the nearside & a modified ultimate engine steady on the nearside at the top. There is very little movement in the engine now which also helps wit the gear changes.

Alan...