gears agen

ben waine

hi,
some of u may remember that a wile ago i had some problem's with gears
i managed to live with it but now i selected reverse and now i cant get it to go in to 1st 2nd 3rd 4th.it wont move. it will only go out of reverse but no further

have any of u had this i have no idea wats rong

Phaeton

Staff member
If you remove the sheep's cruck from the gear box selector. Can you with a set of mole grips get all 4 gears?

Alan...

MattBlack

he means 'Shepherds Crook'... it's the bent metal rod which links the gear shift lever to the little pin that comes out of the gear box.

As Alan says..If you take the link rod off the little metal pin you should be able to get all 5 gears with a pair of mole grips... if you can't .. then the problem is in your gearbox.

If you can.. then the problem is in the linkage... maybe the metal rod is fouling on the bottom of the engine.

ben waine

I've found the problem this guy told me... if u look under the rear left wheel there is a late with about 5,6 screws in it take if off and there shud be a nut in the middle titan it up as tite as u can and then if shud work9 i trust this guy cuz his old job was fixin mini's and that was the most common problems.)

unfortuiatly i dont have a engine liftas the screws can be seen but are inacsessible with a spanner.....

we may be selling because dad cba 2 get a engine lift...

thnx 4 ur time

esdebe

are you talking about the clutch housing? I can't think of any other "plate" that has a big nut behind it that needs tightneing. If this is the thing that needs adjusting then most of the bolts can be removed without lifting the engine out, there are two awkward ones but using a jack and removing the engine mount on that side will help.

I'm not convinced that that would be the problem you should still be able to select the other gears when the engine isn't running if it was.

From your original post it sounds more like the selector that is the problem and I'd go with testing that by putting your fingers in the bend of the selector rod and try pussing it and pulling it to select all the gears if you can't move it check the selector rod isn't bent / catching on the fins of the gear box, if it is then that is your problem and you will probably need to remove the gear selector rod to straighten it.

Phaeton

Staff member
I'm with Simon on this one, if you can get the gears with the engine switched off, but not when running then it's likely to be the clutch. If however you can't get them with it either running or not then it's the linkage.

As to selling it, put up some details there are usually a few people looking.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Disconnect the rod arrowed by removing the roll pin, then using a suitable set of pliers/moles see if you can get all 5 gears by twisting/pushing & pulling the stub that comes out of the gearbox.

Red Arrow

Alan

Phaeton

Staff member
Does the rod move at all? If it's stuck in reverse the first movement needs to be outwards

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Can you get hold of the bit that comes out of the gearbox & pull it towards the back of the buggy?

Alan..

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay, once pulled backwards it should then twist. once twisted you should be in neutral. Try that, then twist it anti-clockwise as far as it will go & hen push it forward towards the front of the buggy, start the buggy with the clutch pushed down & gently lift the clutch, you should be in first. Then report back.

Alan...