general questions re: blitz 1

sirdiesel

I'm going to get a buggy, can't really afford a freestyle, but occasionally see the 1 seater blitz 1 fiat 126 based buggy for sale, usually not prepared for the road or ever reg'd. Quite like these little buggies, have seen one within my price range recently but needing all the "road legal" bits.

Anybody got any experience with these? what are they like to live with? can they pass current IVA testing if it isn't already reg'd when i get hold of one? price check? any ideas on approximate cost to get one that's never been prepped for road use to IVA standard?

the idea is to either get one already regd up and legal, or prepare and reg one that isn't, for regular road, some off road use. got lots of good ideas for added extras, storage, tweaks and such.

if anyone's got one legal they want rid of, let me know, i'm not quite ready for it yet, but i'm definitely looking for one shortly
ta guys

How would a single seater fair at IVA?

Plus how often would PC Plod pull you in it?

Id love to get this road legal..

Would consider it if others have managed to get a single seater through

Attachments

• buggy1.bmp
    244 KB · Views: 9

Phaeton

Staff member
Don't see single seat being an issue, as long as the vehicle is/was designed that way. Personally I would try to get a 2 seater it just makes more sense to me space wise etc. We unfortunately don't have many Blitz owners on here, there have been a few sign up, but as there's very little discussion about them, they then leave. Shame really but it's a bit chicken & egg, unless they make the posts & then others reply the community won't grow.

Alan...

sirdiesel

Phaeton You're right, i'd rather have a freestyle, i'd go for either the 850 or the 998 engine, i'd like the 2 seats, but trouble with them is they're just that bit too expensive for me. i'm keeping my options open, could consider a blitz 2, but the blitz 1 seems to pop up at a decent price.. and i dont absolutely need 2 seats..

if a freestyle pops up at the right money when i'm ready and looking i'll take it, that's the ultimate little buggy imo but if we're looking at a couple of grand then it's just out of budget

sirdiesel

saw that tomcat, not really what i'm after..

i've narrowed it down to a blitz 1 or 2, or a freestyle but i think it's going to end up being a blitz unless a cheap freestyle pops up.. I had the idea a while back to get a freestyle and convert it to a sirion/aygo/c1 1.0 engine.. i could still do this if i got a blitz 2.. the blitz kits just seem to be more common(and cheaper) and blitzworld list the 2 as still available so i can get any bits i need for it from the manufacturer.

what are these new iva rules that are coming in I hear of? another different test? what am i going to have to do if i get one that isnt already road prepped?

HolyCount

The IVA test is already in force and has replaced the SVA --- it's basically the same, but beefed up, a few changes making it a bit more stringent.

Phaeton has posted a link to the new regs manual somewhere. If you get a buggy that isn't already registered you will have to bring it up to IVA spec and get it tested. That will set you back nigh on £500 -- then you will have to get it registered -- more money !!!!

Best bet if you don't go for a Blitz, is look out for a part build freestyle at a decent price -- rare these days, but they do appear now and again.

sirdiesel

yep i'm definitely keeping eyes open on the part build freestyle.

I like the idea of either the freestyle or blitz2 with modern 5spd engine, be it an aygo type or a nissan micra type.. 1.0's though.. a plan is budding to get something and drive it whilst i have a 2nd subframe being converted to the new engine..

dunno which i'll end up with, it'll probably be the first decent buggy at decent money that comes up when i'm ready for it, at least i know there's no major issues upcoming with the test other than the cost of it

There's quite a few perodua Nippas in my city, old ones, low miles, looks to me like they have an 850cc daihatsu engine out of the old charade. These cars cost virtually nothing new, so towards the end of their lives, they're even cheaper and it seems to be the bodies that go - they're owned by old folks who don't do many miles but leave them outside. This was a very economical car when sold - 60-62mpg IIRC (i nearly bought an ex-demo one back in 2000) I'm thinking this would be a great source for a donor engine.. and it seems likely to me it's the same lump with a smaller capacity as the Sirion 1.0 which lives on in the Aygo/c1 1.0... but less complex.. now all i need's a blitz 2 lol

Steves2580

Hi Sirdiesel,

Have you seen that Jayc2 is selling a part built freestyle, its on the for sale section of the forum ;D

It's worth a look!!

Steve.