Golf rear calipers, which handbrake cable???

jason_l

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone knows this info (probably Alan, or Max?).

I have the golf rep alloy disc calipers and want to look at sorting the handbrake part, what handbrake cable did people go for? I think Alan/Jamie are the only ones so far that have done this???

Many thanks,

Jason :D

Mini Mad Max

jason_l":ehhrh6c5 said:
Hi All,

Not sure if anyone knows this info (probably Alan, or Max?).

I have the golf rep alloy disc calipers and want to look at sorting the handbrake part, what handbrake cable did people go for? I think Alan/Jamie are the only ones so far that have done this???

Many thanks,

Me and you need mk4 cables Jason... they are separate so you will need two and you'll need to make a bracket and linkage to the mini handbrake. I will be in this posiion very shortly :D
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Sounds about right Max, not sure if they are MK4 ones, but mine might be slightly different, if you search the caliper thread I think I may  have put the part number in.

Alan...

jason_l

Thanks for the info guys, just what i thought. There are MK4 handbrake cables on ebay for £8.50 a side so i will get them :D I was under the impression i would have to make a bracket to combine them so all is good :D

Thanks guys :D

Jason

Phaeton

Staff member
Jason,

You'll need something along these lines

DSC00274.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

Alan...

jason_l

Thanks Alan, thats perfect!

Just ordered the cables now, hopefully be here tomorrow. Thats pretty much what i was aiming to do so im on the right lines!

jason_l

Right, the cables arrived a while back and as you can see from my build thread i have fitted them and done the handbrake assembly.

When the cables arrived it was clear that they are different from your cables Alan, i don't have the threaded part on the end of mine. I ordered what i thought where golf mk4 cables but i guess they could be something else?

Now i didn't think this would be a problem and have just fitted them and have made a single adjuster that adjusts both the cables together. I have since been back and looked through the IVA manual and it states that the cables must be able to be adjusted independantly from one another. Are the threaded parts on the end of your cables attached or are they a seperate piece? I get the feeling i may have to fabricate something to suit?!?!?

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":6o6kugb5 said:
I have since been back and looked through the IVA manual and it states that the cables must be able to be adjusted independantly from one another.

I'm surprised at this, are you sure it's not just asking for an equalising adjuster?

jason_l":6o6kugb5 said:
Are the threaded parts on the end of your cables attached or are they a seperate piece? I get the feeling i may have to fabricate something to suit?!?!?

They are part of the cable, I think they are from an earlier model, I believe they were from whatever model was around in 1991/92

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":3owbfz93 said:
jason_l":3owbfz93 said:
I have since been back and looked through the IVA manual and it states that the cables must be able to be adjusted independantly from one another.

I'm surprised at this, are you sure it's not just asking for an equalising adjuster?

jason_l":3owbfz93 said:
Are the threaded parts on the end of your cables attached or are they a seperate piece? I get the feeling i may have to fabricate something to suit?!?!?

They are part of the cable, I think they are from an earlier model, I believe they were from whatever model was around in 1991/92

Alan...

Will doubly check now Alan, it might just be that i read it wrong...........

15. The parking brake mechanism must incorporate a means of compensation between all brake assemblies operated by the parking brake control, and a means of adjustment to compensate for wear.

To me that means i need something like your setup. You have a thread that adjusts both cables tighter and then the thread on each cable adjusts each cable individually. My current setup only has a thread that pull's both cables together and i need a way of adjusting each cable individually.

Or am i reading that wrong?????

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":7os5qbu6 said:
Or am i reading that wrong?????

I think you are, if you had a cable going from one handbrake mechanism to the other mechanism & the cable went through a sliding compensator as long as the cable is free to slide & the handbrake pulls up the middle then that is okay, does that make sense, I know what I mean but words fail sometimes.

Very much like the handbrake system for the drum brakes you've taken off.

Alan...

jason_l

Sort of makes sense. I can understand what your saying i think, however my setup is differnt to what your thinking it is, i think.

I have 2 cables, each one is attached to a caliper and then curves round the back and goes through a fixed bracket and then to the handbrake lever assembly. The only adjustment i have is the one thread, yours has 3 adjustable threads.

To me it means that each cable needs to be adjusted independantly, otherwise one cable may be operating its side more/less. The setup you have means that you can adjust it so that each side is applying the correct force as the other side. The only adjustment i have is a single thread that tightens both cables (adjusts for wear).

Mini Mad Max

Jason, I seem to recall our calipers are self adjusting so the cables shouldn't need adjusting once set up.... better google that though  ???
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Yes I'm with you Jason, but the Golf setup has a compensator between the cables, the one in the photograph above/below is the actual Golf one, so if one set of pads is wearing slightly quicker than the other the compensator will allow it. I think you'll find that's how most cars do it, I just have the added advantage of being able to effectively shorten the cables, you'll have to be a bit more precise. Also as Max says as they are discs they are auto adjusting as well.

Alan...

jason_l

Compensator? Is that the part that the cables are attached to at the handbrake end?

I guess as Max says the calipers are self adjusting?

Was asking as i want to be sure, going to try and get it through IVA first time, almost impossible i know but worth a shot. Not that im close of course. lol

Phaeton

Staff member
Yes the compensator is on the end of the single pull from the handbrake, the cables are attached equidistant from the centre, which means if one stretches slightly more than the other as the handbrake is pulled up, one will go solid then the compensator will pivot & make it so the other one can go solid.

That make sense, if not I'll have another go at describing it.

Alan...

jason_l

Thats what i need then. I currently have a made up piece of steel but its not ideal. Is that a Golf compensator then? Might have to try and source one from somewhere.............. ???

Phaeton

Staff member
That is a genuine Golf one from a scrapyard, I bought the whole lever & compensator for £10, but then only used the compensator. I see no reason why you couldn't just use a piece of steel, it would have to be quite thick so there is no chance of it flexing. Trick will be not to make it too tight to allow it 'wiggle' on the pull.

Alan...

jason_l

Hmmmmm.......

I might be able to modify the bracket i have. Its pretty thick, in fact its L section that i have cut down slightly so it won't bend. I might be able to just oval the hole slightly so that it can move a little. Might try and pick one up when im at a scrappy next time.  ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
That sounds fine, it doesn't have to move that much, probably only a few millimetres, as that's the pivot point, it'll get doubled at the cables.

Alan...