Headlight height for SVA

jason_l

Hi all,

well this is my first question so excuse me if its already been posted, i had a quick search but couldn't find anything on it.

Im yet to buy the buggie that me and my mate will be sharing but have started to design the bodykit and have had a thought.

Im quite keen on using the original mini headlights but fitting them in the bodykit panel. This will mean that they will sit at the front of the car in the middle of the lower nosecone(or similar position).

Im sure the standard mini headlights will be fine but does anyone know if there is a certain height that the headlights must be???? They will be professionally levelled so they don't blind people but how low can they go??? :lol:

Thanks in advance,

Jason :p

Phaeton

Staff member
Do you have a copy of the bible?

Am I still allowed to say that or does if offend somebodies religious beliefs?

Alan...

jason_l

"Phaeton"":3t1dym3t said:
Do you have a copy of the bible?

Am I still allowed to say that or does if offend somebodies religious beliefs?

Alan...

I take it you mean the SVA manual thing that you buy from VOSA???? if its in that then i guess im buying it :roll:

Phaeton

Staff member
"jason_l"":2q3zd89t said:
I take it you mean the SVA manual thing that you buy from VOSA???? if its in that then i guess im buying it :roll:

Yep, on my version it's in Section 9.1 Annex 1

There has to be 2 dipped beams no more than 400mm from the edge, no more than 1200mm from the floor & not less than 500mm from the floor. What is interesting is there are no restrictions on full beams other than there must be 2.

Alan...

jason_l

Thanks ian and Phaeton, thats what i was looking for, would have liked the headlights alot lower than that but oh well :( :?

Looks like i have some work ahead of me 8)

esdebe

Alan, I was interested in that full beam (lack of restriction) when fitting my extra spots. and it actualy says on the box they come in that there are no restrictions other than they have to be facing forwards....

collie

While we're on the subject of headlamps, in the interest of saving money, it would be nice to use the mini lights. Is it possible to get bowls for the mini lights so's I can fit to the mounting points or is it just not worth it?

Phaeton

Staff member
I have seen 7" bowls but the issue is then removing the front, as the SVA man will want to look under there & it's hard enough with 5 3/4" let alone 7". That is unless you could modify the nose & have them fitted in there.

Alan...

esdebe

One thing I found withthe front, the ability to get itunder the light depends a lot on the metal curved front piece. When I had the galv one which was a tighter curve and I had to push down on it to get it to reach the floor panel so I could bolt it on the fibreglass sat lower, when I got the aluminium one the curve isn't so tight and this pusshes it back up.

Simon

Asbo

has anyone thought of using a different material....eg,di-bond(or die-bond),,,rubber sheet approx 2-3mm thick with a skin of ally either side which gives it strength/rigidity and is great/easy to work with,albeit expensive. a cheap source ive found is the skips of local sign companies that do new house build signs,they constantly bin stuff that is 100% ok for re-use and welcome the subtractions from their landfill bill....just dont tell them i told ye that. im plannin on doin new sides/possibly an engine cover for the princely sum of 'he-haw'. :)