I think i can get away with NO CAT!!!

jason_l

Hi All,

Im posting this up as i would like a second opinion really.

I have been reading through the section on emissions again and again and from what i can gather i can get away with not having a Catalytic converter but would like a second opinion. I think i get out of it because im using a Japanese imported engine and therefore don't need one on a default.

My car is a 1994, japanese imported Tpyota Starlet GT (there is no UK equivalent engine and there is no engine information on the emissions database).

Can somone with access to the IVA manual have a quick look and double check that im right before i rip the CAT off and make the new exhaust.

From my understanding because my car engine is NOT on the database they will do a non CAT test meaning the levels are so much higher i will get away with it. If you look at the IVA manual with the stupid flow chart thing and go through it i seem to be right?  ???

Many thanks if you can help?

Jason :p

Phaeton

Staff member
Not that it really helps or gives you your answer, but Jill's MR2 Turbo is a 1993 & that is tested on 3.5% & 1200ppm which is the pre '85 standard. What you could do with really is the printout of what it was tested as before it hit the tree/lamp post/roundabout.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":1o5jcbas said:
Not that it really helps or gives you your answer, but Jill's MR2 Turbo is a 1993 & that is tested on 3.5% & 1200ppm which is the pre '85 standard. What you could do with really is the printout of what it was tested as before it hit the tree/lamp post/roundabout.

Alan...

Spoke to my mate at MOT station today and he says that there is no data for the starlet so it just gets a high idle test done, with exactly the same level's you have just posted up.

I just need someone to go through the IVA flowchart and see if im correct, which i think i am? I have been through it 5+ times now!  :D

Jason :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Jason,

From my May IVA manual on page 40 I read it to state as long as you have the V5C stating the date of manufacturer & it is not on their database you get away with the 3.5% & 1200ppm

Alan.. 

jason_l

Phaeton":fqw0x14c said:
Jason,

From my May IVA manual on page 40 I read it to state as long as you have the V5C stating the date of manufacturer & it is not on their database you get away with the 3.5% & 1200ppm

Alan.. 

YES!!!!! happy days  ;D ;D ;D ;D