"K" series buggy

Baloo

offroad 68":3lkwqpyy said:
You will not want to get it dirty, looks to nice.

naah  we will get it dirty ;D  besides once its finished l will loose intrest and want to biuld something else, maybe a rockcrawler, maybe another buggy, or even finish my subaru buggy  ::)

Baloo

the wiring wasent as bad as l had anticipated, l was given the wiring loom in bag with everything disconnected, as l dident strip the mgf l was expecting a degree of difficulty in connecting it all back up,
but it was all plain sailing really all the plugs are different shapes so in theory everything should be in the right place,  maybe  ::), need to make an exhaust next so as l can get it running

mgfbuggy14011.jpg

mgfbuggy14016.jpg

mgfbuggy14023.jpg

mgfbuggy14007-1.jpg

mgfbuggy14005-1.jpg

mgfbuggy14025.jpg

Mini Mad Max

Just a thought, You could keep it as a caged kit car like the sdr v-storm or mev rocket instead of adding the extra bars to make it a buggy. If you keep it as light as possible, it will go like the clappers with the 1.8 in the back. You could even put some cool panels on it and get it road legal! :D
As i said, just a thought  ;)

Baloo

Diesel Destroyer":1nvzq2p9 said:
Andy did you spray the chassis or powder coat it?

Looks fab!!

Cant wait for a spin in it

hi Alan

its painted, powder coat is not the right choice for an offroad buggy in my view for several reasons,

spin being the operative word  ;D ;D

l have sorted the wiring now, if l had an exhaust and a fuel tank fitted l think she would fire up  ;)

wont be long now  :D

Baloo

not much progress, well nothing worthy of a picture anyway,
decided to have a play with the printer at work today, came up with a name for the buggy "sidewinder"  dont know if its a snake or a missile  :)

these are the toned down version, the others had snakes coming out of the skulls eye sockets   :eek: :eek: ::)

sidewinder001.jpg

sidewinder003.jpg

Andy

Mini Mad Max

Wow! Looks pretty awesome, although small children may get scared :'(  ;)
Not long until you can get it moving i suppose, looks great as ever!
Almost at the point when you can pick the subaru one up again :D
Max

Baloo

Mini Mad Max":1gt3gwzp said:
Wow! Looks pretty awesome, although small children may get scared :'(  ;)
Not long until you can get it moving i suppose, looks great as ever!
Almost at the point when you can pick the subaru one up again :D
Max

hi Max
  yes it might scare children thats why l dropped the snakes
SIDEWINDER2copy.jpg

and l am looking forward to getting back on the subaru one, but..........................................................................

l saw this on youtube and it sort of ticks all the boxes  ;D 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD7Aief5 ... r_embedded

l was thinking ford sierra diffs front and rear, mgf or metro K series engine with steptronic gearbox, fox air shocks, mgf hubs and drive shafts,  l have it all worked out you know  ;D ;D

Mini Mad Max

I saw that one too! By the way, you have to remember how big your garage is, how much space do you have left. I would love another project after the buggy, but i don't think i'll be able to afford it as i plan to go to university in 3 years :eek: They will probably fly by :-\
What software do you have for all those graphics?!
They certainly cut the mustard :D

Baloo

thinking about the roll cage and tube work today,  found these pics on the awdc site
its a  single seat buggy but if l rub out the front hoop and roof bars it dosent look that much different to mine in overall shape ?  so perhaps that is what l might do just add some more bits and make it look something like this
buggyshape.jpg

buggyshape1.jpg

what do you think guys ??

Angel Boy

A great deal of chasis stifness will come from the roll cage.  If you chop it you will face the same issues as chopping the roof from a tintop eurobox.  However, this all very much depends on what it is you are hoping to do once complete and how much you think you might have over engineered the sides.

From a cosmetic angle I like the look and would so the same to mine if I knew it would not fold in the middle like a slice of bread.

You'll have to run all the stress calculations for the chasis design with or without a full cage and see what the difference is  ;)

Andy

Baloo

hi

sorry Andy l  dident make myself clear, what l have is a buggy that looks like the picture that l have rubbed out the frame on and what l want to do is add a front section to make it look more like a buggy rather than a caterham/westfield type car
so what l will be  doing is adding to it's stiffness rather than taking away

mgfbuggy14025.jpg

buggyshape1.jpg

buggyshape2.jpg

Angel Boy

Baloo":3hwhpz4f said:
hi

sorry Andy l  dident make myself clear, what l have is a buggy that looks like the picture that l have rubbed out the frame on and what l want to do is add a front section to make it look more like a buggy rather than a caterham/westfield type car
so what l will be  doing is adding to it's stiffness rather than taking away

Understood, something to consider though as you will get a huge amount of chasis stiffness by connecting the front to the back via rollcage.  I guess it depends on whether you think as the designer it needs it.  You could always add it at a later date if you find the chasis does flex.

Andy

Baloo

a few more pics for you

side panels clipped on, tyres mounted on the mgf alloys and l found an old dutton fiberglass bonnet that l think l am going to cut and shut till it fits then tale a mold off it and make a new bonnet,  that would give me some where to put another graphic, perhaps the snake one,

buggyprint.jpg

mgfbuggy15007.jpg

mgfbuggy15010.jpg

mgfbuggy15012.jpg

mgfbuggy15015.jpg

Baloo

hi guys

progress has slowed up a bit as l have been tinkering with other things  ::)

anyway l have had the theaded collar made that l will weld on top of the fuel tank to allow the fuel pump to be fitted, also had a fiddle with the fiberglass bonnet l found, bit more fettling and l think it will be just the job, it hides that front cross bar a treat  ;)

tonysporker020.jpg

tonysporker018.jpg

tonysporker022.jpg

tonysporker019.jpg

mgfbuggt15005.jpg

l think l am going to raise the back end of the bonnet a bit to give it a bit of downward angle
and maybe have the back edge of the bonnet kick up 4" or so to give a bit of protection from the flying mud

Andy