K Series Engine Conversion

Phaeton

Staff member
With Dave getting very close to finishing the K series Buggy, I've pretty much decided that over winter I'll upgrade to a K. So much so I nearly bought a 1.4 16V Metro off eBlag the other night, but decided that it was a bit early as I have nowhere really to store it.

However it has posed a couple of questions, Dave may have to answer one but others may be able to help with other.

On the flyer that was posted by DPNOMAD it stated a Rover 100, anyone know if the subframe off a Metro is the same as a Rover 100

Most (maybe read all) of the K series cars will have a CAT fitted, if you retrospectively fit a cat'd engine to a non-cat'd registered car do you have to fit a cat, or if you don't will you have problems at MOT time?

Alan...

RichardG

Alan,

The K series metros started in 1990 (http://www.austin-rover.co.uk). There are both 8 valve an 16 valve versions from 1.1 to 1.8.

I have the 1.8 16 vavle in my Firefox fitted with Honda Fireblade throttle bodies, Emerald ECU and PG1 gearbox with Torsen LSD. It goes like stink !!!

The 1.8 can be fitted very easily into the metro subframe using the metro gearbox !!! :p

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
Think I'm going to stay with my 1st plan of 1.4 16V they push out 100-105 ponies as standard & with a little tweaking 120 is easy. I think it's enough until I sort out all the handling eccentricities (oops spelling & whiskey don't mix) of the buggy. Also staying at 1.4 means cheap VED being a true Yorkshire man.

Alan...

iank

Thought you were selling the buggy Alan ;) good news it's getting upgraded.

My understanding of the rules is once your car is registered as not requiring a CAT you can fit what engine you want and won't have to fit one.

Interesting K series (nature got from K series fans over on locostbuilders)
All are on the same block so interchanging into the subframe is easy.

1400 16V MPI BHP 103 from the factory (the 95 BHP can be upgraded with an angle grinder and a longer accelerator pedal) Very free reving, feels like a race car engine.

1600 16V BHP 109-116 Still smooth, but not as free reving

1800 16V BHP 120 ish Not a revy motor, lots more torque, but not much extra power over the 1400 given extra capacity. Extra torque good for the freelander, and heavy tintops, but less relevant in a buggy.

1800 VVC 16V BHP 145-160 better reving, but ECU is pain because of security bobbins. Can use an emerald or similar but cost goes up.

1.4 16v from a Metro GTi sounds like a good match for the buggy.