Lilspeed's "about flippin time" Freestyle Discussion Thread

CAW

Lol, I'd kill for that space nice one, looks a tidy buggy , you could always drill the rivets out the drill the end of the tube out and file out, upend buggy so rivets fail out ,then rod it, then when all out re-weld a patch over the hole and paint.

Theres one way you can get rid of them flamin pop rivets :)

Andy

Lilspeed

I am very lucky with the space, it's my parents's farm. Thankfully they're very understanding about the ever expanding collection of rotting old minis!

Good idea about the pop rivets, that would get rid of the majority of them anyway. If not being able to get the sides off becomes a problem during the build I'll go with that.

Anyway, ta for the discussion thread! I'll look forward to hearing what people have to say as the project progresses.

Justin

HolyCount

Another quick rivet head solution is to allow them to settle to the bottom of the frame and then waxoyl them in place.

collie

Looking forward to seeing your petrol tank solution! and "IVA early next spring" you may well be the first Freestyler to put your buggy through IVA!

Mini Mad Max

I think ones gone through IVA successfully now? Alan or Danny will be along shortly to verify :) It looks like a pretty nice example of a freestyle you have there, good luck with your build!
Max

Lilspeed

Mini Mad Max":1wnxc64q said:
I think ones gone through IVA successfully now? Alan or Danny will be along shortly to verify :) It looks like a pretty nice example of a freestyle you have there, good luck with your build!
Max

Thanks Max.

Someone has mentioned on here that one has passed IVA but apparently the owner isn't on the forum. Perhaps I'll be the first from Muddybuggies then!

I think I was lucky to find that buggy as the work that has been done by the previous owner is very good, and it's got some nice bits like braided brake lines right through, new calipers and the nice rims with brand new Yoko's. So that all makes for a nice headstart but there's still loads to do! I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in now though ;D

Mini Mad Max

Wow that is a good find! I'm in the same position as you: still loads left to do, but still aiming for IVA next spring. Any other regular on here will inform you i have overshot all my deadlines that i have set so far, so it'll be interesting to see if i can make it for spring :p I've found that if your pace of work ever slows, or you ever get stuck on a certain aspect, what really helps is to see a finished example of another freestyle. Then, it seems you get loads done all of a sudden. So suss out which other members are near you, and take a camera along to shows and get loads of inspirational reference pictures :)
Max

Lilspeed

Excellent, if we're IVA'ing around the same time it'll be good to share notes one way or the other.

Mini Mad Max":2z7t74on said:
loads of inspirational reference pictures :)
Max

Inspiration is definitely a good plan. My inspiration has an MG Metro engine and a lunatic at the wheel!

DSC_0151.jpg

I helped my mate build this one from a rolling chassis a couple of years ago. He's very keen to have a playmate for next summer so he's now taunting me with his buggy at every opportunity.

Danny

Administrator
Hey can you send me some photos of that one?

I like to keep a record of them so I can follow the history a bit of an anorak I know but I get asked a fair bit :)

Danny

Administrator
Hey can you send me some photos of that one?

I like to keep a record of them so I can follow the history a bit of an anorak I know but I get asked a fair bit :)

Also you dont hear the pop rivets rattling about :) well I dont hear mine....

Danny

......... and in comes alan and everybody else to explain why.......

Lilspeed

Danny":19j2pz3w said:

Also you dont hear the pop rivets rattling about :) well I dont hear mine....

Pm'd ;)

Any idea how many there are out there then?

I can imagine that there's more than enough noise at speed in any Freestyle to drown out a few pop rivets rattling around! :D
The problem is, if I didn't know they were there, they wouldn't be a problem. . . . . . . . . . Did someone say OCD? ;D

Mini Mad Max

Nice inspiration ;) I don't reckon you can hear much noise from the rivets over an A series engine with a rc40 single back box exhaust :p

Phaeton

Staff member
I think you may have to consider that if you have a heavy enough impact on the front to damage a tank between those 2 bulkhead plates you're probably not going to walk away from it anyway so may not care if you went up in flames.

Alan...

Lilspeed

Phaeton":1lb2r4dp said:
I think you may have to consider that if you have a heavy enough impact on the front to damage a tank between those 2 bulkhead plates you're probably not going to walk away from it anyway so may not care if you went up in flames.

Alan...

Hmm, my thinking was more along the lines of - if I couldn't walk away, I definitely wouldn't want to go up in flames!

I think wherever you put the tank on something as small as a Freestyle there's going to be a danger of fuel spillage in a bad crash.
If I can get it through IVA with a rear mounted extinguisher tank I think that'll be my easiest option fabrication wise for now.

My plan with the tank between the bulkheads would (I think) satisfy the IVA regs regarding placement of the tank - heat sources/separate compartment etc. I'm not sure whether they would consider it in danger of being punctured by a broken off suspension arm in an accident though.
If anyone else fancies giving it a go, I reckon it's possible to get a 9l rectangular tank in there with a few mm gap around it, with a filler neck extending up in front of the OSF shock/spring.

Mini Mad Max

Phaeton":1aj267rv said:

Alan...
Danny's frontal impact was enough to deform the front bulkhead that the battery tray is attached to and that was relatively low speed. We had to straighten it out with a little scissor jack.
Max

Danny

Administrator
that is true....I have bent that twice... Once when I was trying to get over a tractor ramp :)

Where theres will theres a way

Lilspeed

Cheers Max!
I used an unmodified Maniflow freeflow manifold and RC40 back box, and bought some bends from ebay for the rest. Going to give it a few coats of B&Q barbeque paint tomorrow. ;)

Mini Mad Max

Lilspeed":1h4zag3f said:
Cheers Max!
I used an unmodified Maniflow freeflow manifold and RC40 back box, and bought some bends from ebay for the rest. Going to give it a few coats of B&Q barbeque paint tomorrow. ;)
Sounds pretty similar to my soon to be set up... I got an un modified maniflow stage 2 lcb with an rc40 back box :) Going to get help from Rich and Steve on here though because i wouldn't be able to make a good job of it myself :p
Nice idea with the fuel tank too, you won't have to create any complicated bulkhead over the gear tunnel if it's just on the passenger side!
Max