Lola needs a new clutch

FFTS

OK.. firstly let me say I know this is down to bad timing and Alan was unaware of this but... Lolas clutch is slipping now and needs a new one. I need to know the following for a metro 1275 engine.. What would be a fair price to pay a local garage for:

a) clutch parts, fitting and labour
b) labour only if I buy the parts

Ta.

Phaeton

Staff member
Chris,

If you're getting quotes for the labour make sure they realise it's not in a normal Mini/Metro engine bay. It can be changed without removing the engine & is fairly straight forward. On Lola/Mary you/they will have to remove the heater matrix & it may help to remove the offside tank. If you're not in too much hurry I could always come over with the dolly bring her back do the clutch & bring her back again. I will of course have to fit the towbar before I do that, but I have bought one just needs fitting.

Alan...

FFTS

That a very kind offer I may just take you up on as Ive basically had the drive home with her and cant take her out with confidence as she is. Could I come over with her and watch you do it so I can start to learn something?

When are you back from holiday? What do you think to non verto clutch? Could you fit the clutch here at my house and save multiple journeys?

Hope your hliday is going well.. the weather is still shit here so you can smile.

Phaeton

Staff member
Chris,

I wouldn't be able to do it until do it until W/E 1/2nd December, which is why I was asking how desperate you were. As to doing it at your house, bearing in mind I've never done one, I can almost guarentee that there'd be a tool I'd need that I hadn't brought :lol:

Verto/Non-Verto I have no experience, Dave Smart might be able o help on that one, try giving him a ring, if he's recovered from Exeter. Other than that have a search on http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=idx# these guy are Mini nutters (Poor Souls) if no joy in getting an answer then register & post a question. Maybe even ask if somebody is local to you & would consider doing the clutch for beer tokens. I would of course make a contribution to the fund.

Alan...

FFTS

Thanks yet again Alan. Im away myself from the 30th nov to the 8th Dec. If Ive not got anything sorted out before I'll call you before I go away.

Hope the tan is going well haha :)

hmalan

The Verto is the modern clutch, meant to make the mini like other modern cars !! it was the 80's.

However if you look on a lot of the mini forums you will see lots of posts about people switching back to pre - verto as they are supposed to be better.

It's important to remember that as well as the pre verto clutch you will need a pre verto slave cylinder, clutch arm etc. as they are not interchangeable

Alan

esdebe

It is easier to get the pre-vetro one off!!!

I had massive problems trying to get the vetro one off, and knackered two flywheel pullers....

As for tools, You don't need much more that a flywheel puller to do the job, (and a selection of spanners / sockets (11mm / 5/16ths and 13mm / 1/2inch))

I bought a special tool for puting the oil seal on , but you probably won't need that as you don't need to remove that much....

In the buggy you should be able to do the hole job with engine in place, but will find there are 1 possibly 2 bolts that are a b!tc# to remove, however once off you can remove the cover and awaiy you go.

Simon

FFTS

Thanks for the advise. Does this mean you have a pre verto clutch and if so how is the drive. I guess it takes some getting used to for on road use? Is there much difference in the bite of a pre verto and an orange fast road clutch.

I found this post that says the slaves cylinders are interchangeable but just the arm needs changing. http://www.ime.org.uk/ime/c/clutch_slav ... ences.html

funbuggydave

If you have a pre verto one (long actuation arm) have you adjusted the throw out stop, see the Haynes book of lies for procedure. With the spring disconnected and the arm pulled by hand, there should be a gap between the stop and the arm. If not the clutch may be disengaging, thus giving you slip if you rest your foot on the pedal.
Have you got any oil dripping out the bellhousing (even a little) This could mean a leaking oil seal, thus making clutch slip
Hope this helps, if not be prepared for swearing and gashed knuckles....... :shock:
Dave

FFTS

Thanks Dave. I was asking if Esdebe buggy was a pre verto. Lola at the moment is definately verto with short arm and pre engaged starter. Im changing her to pre verto and have bought the bits but am thinking of getting an ultralight flywheel and pressure plate. So she will be pre-verto and pre-engaged and then I guess PRE-disposed to going that bit faster..haha

esdebe

Sorry for teh delay in getting back been working in Ireland, for the last week didn't get any internet access....

I've tried both types of Clutch (changed my 998cc for a 1275cc), the short arm one on a 998cc with a pre-engaged starter and the longarm one on my 1275cc with the matching starter . I have to say I notice no difference between them in terms of driving.

I generaly only use it on the road though.

Simon