Metro 4 pot conversion?

jason_l

Hi All,

Just a quick one really.

Been looking at options for rear disc conversions and i would rather have something that is just bolt on with not too much work.

What i was thinking was to put the standard 2 pot mini callipers on the rear and then get the metro 4 pot callipers up front. What i want to know is that will the metro 4 pots just bolt straight onto the mini hubs?

I know this means that i won't have a handbrake fitted to the existing brake caliper but i was thinking of just getting a seperate handbrake caliper to add to the rear's. Something like these........

Spot-Caliper-mechanism.gif

Hispec-spot-caliper-2.gif

SVA-Spot-Caliper.gif

any help is greatly appreciated :D

Jason :p

JAMIE B.

Seems like you are giving yourself a lot of work Jason, by all means the metro 4 pots on the front, mine work great. But putting the mini calipers on the rear means you will have to weld brackets on the cast hub to take your extra handbrake calipers, If I were you I'd go for the vw golf caliper conversion, recon calipers £50 each and they have the handbrake mech integrated and you can also use the golf handbrake cables, just some minor mods required to the rear hubs (disc ones) and you can use the mini discs too!

jason_l

JAMIE B.":19i75xx1 said:
Seems like you are giving yourself a lot of work Jason, by all means the metro 4 pots on the front, mine work great. But putting the mini calipers on the rear means you will have to weld brackets on the cast hub to take your extra handbrake calipers, If I were you I'd go for the vw golf caliper conversion, recon calipers £50 each and they have the handbrake mech integrated and you can also use the golf handbrake cables, just some minor mods required to the rear hubs (disc ones) and you can use the mini discs too!

Would love to have the golf callipers on the back but i don't have the skills or machinery to adapt the hubs/callipers.

I think i have decided to leave the drums on there till after IVA and then convert to discs on the rear and metro 4 pots on the front after. I have a hydraulic handbrake kit so this can be put on after IVA ;D

biddleboy

well jason i took jamies advice and got some callipers and a guy i know is doing the mods to the hubs the exact mods that jamies done so i will get some picture to you wen i get them back and all so give you the price he charged me as for the callipers you can get everythink you need from big red ie carriers sliders bolts springs i know becouse i went up there to get some new springs and they had it all in stock there not far from me well any way give me a call if you intrested 07510722649

JAMIE B.

A word of warning Jason, a hydraulic handbrake is not road legal, it must be mechanical in case of hydraulic failure ! Will not pass an mot !

Regards Jamie

jason_l

JAMIE B.":3skldydg said:
A word of warning Jason, a hydraulic handbrake is not road legal, it must be mechanical in case of hydraulic failure ! Will not pass an mot !

Regards Jamie

Thanks for the warning Jamie, already aware of this  ;) Mine will get through MOT fine :D ::)

Phaeton

Staff member
But will it pass a VOSA roadside inspection or Insurance accident inspector?

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":26fymbcb said:
But will it pass a VOSA roadside inspection or Insurance accident inspector?

Alan...

Hmmm... true, there is that. Was going to use the hydaulic option as i have the kit lying about somewhere. Pbobably just easier not to bother i guess, looks like i may just go for the golf calipers then  ::) :D