MOT required.

FFTS

Went to re-tax Lola today. The DVLA had sent a reminder saying produce MOT certificate. Lola was registered in 2007 so thought I had 3 yrs before MOT required but its not the case. Went to the DVLA office in Preston and they said if the plate is age related i.e. from the donor mini then it requires an MOT from year one. If on a Q plate it would have to go through an enhanced SVA and would then not require an MOT for 3 years. If anyone else has had 3 yrs on an age realted Reg plate or other experience then please let me know.

Phaeton

Staff member
Excuse my French but they are talking bollox, they don't actually know what they are talking about. You do/will not need a MOT until 2010, try taxing it on-line that sometimes will work. Other than that there is a form to fill in V112 (I think) & do it at the post office.

Can't search it out for you now as I'm due back at work in 7 hours but have a look in SVA & Legal on www.locostbuilders.co.uk others have had the same problem.

Alan...

FFTS

The post office cant do it as it ran out at the end of March and they dont have Tax discs apart from for the current month.

I will try online amd let you know. Other than that I cant see what else to do but go for an MOT :(

FFTS

OK just tried to tax her online and guess what.... see the copy and paste from the DVLA website...

MOT Test Certificate could not be found

Sorry, it has not been possible to match the vehicle with a MOT Test Certificate at this time and you are unable to complete your application for a tax disc using this service.

If you have a MOT Test Certificate…
It appears the vehicle has not yet been updated on the MOT Test Certificate database. You can phone the MOT helpline for information (with permission of the car owner). The telephone number is 0870 606 0440.

If you DON’T have a valid MOT Test Certificate…
A MOT Test Certificate must be obtained before applying for a tax disc.

esdebe

I had exactly that problem too. The DVLA haven't got a clue and they don't know how to imput the data during registation in my case they updated the wrong fields on the form for the date and I too had to get an MOT, not a bad thing mind as alll 4 wheels needed to have the ball joints re-shimmied (somehting not tested at the SVA.

I had also asked the SVA examiner at the time about needing to get MOT for the next 3 years he said that the SVA didn't check the same things as the MOT and that he believed an MOT would be required. There is a lot of confusion arround this point and it's not helped by the DVLA not having a clue either.

hmalan

As I have a new job and I am struggling to get time off our good friend Phaeton (Alan) is taking the buggy for its SVA for me at the end of the month.

I have read on other sites, locostbuilders etc about some areas were the DVLA will actually inspect the car before the SVA test, and others were the DVLA Inspector attends the SVA centre on certain days, I think it's fridays at nottingham.

So I decided the best way of finding out was from the horses mouth.

Rang DVLA at Sheffield, No sir they will decide whether or not they need to inspect the car after they have seen the paperwork, the paperwork you will need is, proof of address, Insurance certificate or cover note, MAC certificate and your MOT certificate.

I thought I did not need an MOT, no sir the SVA does not cover everything so you must have an MOT certificate as well before we can register the vehicle

ARGHHHHH

Phaeton

Staff member
This is from TOTALKITCAR

IF I GET A MAC CERTIFICATE I WON’T NEED AN MOT WILL I?

After a lot of arguments and deliberation, you will NOT need an MOT as well as a MAC - UNLESS you build a kit car that keeps the donor's registration (and then you won't need the MAC anyway!) To keep the donor's registration, you need to use its ORIGINAL and UNMODIFIED chassis or monocoque bodyshell. If you do this, you won't need an SVA but you will need an MOT. In all other cases (i.e. a kit built from all-new parts or a kit using some donor components but not the complete donor chassis/shell) you will NOT need an
MOT for the first three years.

Alan,

I assume you were talking to the chickens at Swansea, they WILL tell you you need a MOT, however Sheffield don't agree unless they have changed their mind.

Chris,

The Post Office should still be able to do it for you, but you will have to loose a months tax as it will have to be backdated until the last one ran out, if you haven't SORN her be careful as the DVLA may slap a £80 fine on you.

I still maintain that you DO NOT need a MOT to either register your kit on first build or in the first 3 years. I would be having a robust exchange of words with any DVLA office that stated otherwise, there is a link somewhere, I think it is on locostbuilders to a letter from DVLA stating this.

Here's another one, not the one I was looking for though Locust Builder Forum

Just another bit I've thought about when Lola was first registered, remember that bit first registered I had to pay a Vehicle First Registration Fee, i.e. First registered which was in 2007 therefore MOT not required until 2010, the chickens at Swansea or Sheffield have screwed up basically, as above i would be donning the armour ready for battle if she were still mine.

Alan...

Steve

When I put mine through SVA, I was told that I did not need an MOT to register it in the first place. But I would need one after the first year.
I went to the TAX office in Birmingham and no one there asked for an MOT, they just asked for the SVA documents and the cash for the TAX disc.
It seems no two offices work the same. :?:

FFTS

I went in personaly to the DVLA in Preston. There was some debate amongst a few nad the the decision as above. If you can find the DVLA letter referred to it would be better ammo to tackle them with if its one of they're own letters in they're words.

hmalan

As per Alan's (Phaeton) comments I am not planning on having it MOT'd but I am now going to leave it until after the SVA to try any more on the registration front.

I have also seen the letter from DVLA that has been refered too and will be looking for this before I take it any further.

As per all the forums I have ever read about this subject it seems that every location is differant.