Mug welders

Danny

Administrator
Hiya

I think I need to learn to mig weld and so I am looking for a welder.... what would you guys recommend?

You welding is all well and good but with chassis repairs a mig would be better

ChaosMS

Hi Danny, I have an ESAB CaddyMig200 its an inverter welder so small and portable - also nice big display panel where you can have it in expert mode for wire feed and power or normal mode where you just tell it what the thickness is and if you want over or under burn

Excellent little unit and hasnt missed a beat since i got it about 2 years ago now

Danny

Administrator
ChaosMS":1xphwreh said:
Hi Danny, I have an ESAB CaddyMig200 its an inverter welder so small and portable - also nice big display panel where you can have it in expert mode for wire feed and power or normal mode where you just tell it what the thickness is and if you want over or under burn

Excellent little unit and hasnt missed a beat since i got it about 2 years ago now

Never heard of them before.... I will do a google

Danny

Administrator
Never really tried mig welding... maybe I need to get some practice in first

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Baloo

I have always thought a tig was for light/thin delicate stuff while a mig was more for the general run of the mill like box section and thicker stuff up to 10mm thick, how thick will a tig do then ?, I am saving up for a n R tech tig nearly there

Danny

Administrator
Phaeton":1dg04pwa said:
Why do you need a mig if you have a tig?
Quicker and cheaper to run.... tig gas gets expensive

Danny

Administrator
Baloo":3oufva6l said:
I have always thought a tig was for light/thin delicate stuff while a mig was more for the general run of the mill like box section and thicker stuff up to 10mm thick, how thick will a tig do then ?, I am saving up for a n R tech tig nearly there
I have a 200 amp rig... welded about 10mm steel no bother....

My welds are getting neater and more consistent for sure....

wagon_1.0

TIG is frikking annoying compared to nice easy quick MIG.

and MIGin is easy comparred to tig - point and squirt, metal joined, and you have a free hand to hold what you are welding / beer / etc

I have i think that 180 R-Tech Mig and a 160 Rtech TIG - they are both really a pleasure to use and great service from R-Tech.

Gas is just as annoying - except now you'll need to rent two bottles, and you will be like me - mine a re both empty.

Just debating paying the £200 bottle deposit for the bigger bottle - or £400 as i now have 2 :(

Danny

Administrator
Haha tig gas gets expensive... it's near £80 for 4 hours of gas...

ChaosMS

With a change of Gas my mig will do Mig alloy and Stainless - im not sure how good it is as I've never tried it - but its supposed to do it - my bottle size is the half size bottle and its £30-£35 refill the big bottle wasnt much more but i didnt have the space for it

wagon_1.0

Where do you guys get your gas?

Im my expereince
Disposable bottles are mental.
Adams gas have good bottle prices but I haven't got one near by,
BOC annoyingly contractual,
Hobbyweld - Smaller bottle doesn't last long, Ultra bottle deposit is mental!

wagon_1.0

As it happens.... I have been using Hobbyweld for 8 odd years, but both my bottles are empty which has prompted a gas review!

I blast through the smaller Hobby weld bottle in what seems like no time, but I don't fancy the £205 deposit for a big bottle.... twice

Wasn't expecting BOC to be so cheap!

Price as of today (8/11/18) check yourself in case I got them wrong ;)

AJo2FQw.png