Need some help

Ianuk

Hi everyone, new to forum and have a new project which is try to fix up a buggy which was given to me.

Where do you buy all your electrical bits? Im after what i think is a relay, but im unsure as which it is. The buggy has been sat for over 2 years and has gathered allot of rust on the body, and also on all the electrical parts, all full of rust.

Think i may of bitten off more than i can chew. Not sure if it need a completely new loom.

This is the part im on about http://s683.photobucket.com/albums/vv19 ... GP2428.jpg

Any help appreciated. Would just buy a new one if i knew what it was and where to get one from. :D

Thanks

Steves2580

Hi and welcome,

The part you are holding, I think, is a starter regulator (but I'm not 100% sure).

What buggy is it and what is your problem/problems??
Post up some more pictures and we'll be able to point you in the right direction!!

Good luck with it, don't worry about biting off more than you can chew, you've got to start somewhere!!
It's not cost you yet, so you've got to give it a go!!

Steve ;)

Phaeton

Staff member
I'm with Steve I think it's the starter solenoid, if the problem you have is you can't turn it over on the key/button to try to start it, then to check it you could try to bypass it. Bearing in mind I am the king of bodge, I would ease back the insulation on the 2 big red wires & with a big screwdriver just quickly short then out, hopefully you will hear the starter try to turn. If that happens all we have to do is figure out what to replace that with.There will be a spark & you will probably jump, not because you've been electrocuted but it always does.

Alan...

esdebe

a quick zoom in on the first picture shows that green part as having 4 terminal connectors in it, two spade Male and two spade female, I don't know of may relay devices that have female fittings so I would have though there should be some wires connecting to that... Again looking at a zoomed in picture I see there are two wires to the top of it (one green and one brown / red one) and also another red? over to the left that don't seem to be connected to anything...

Do you know / can you trace the two thick wires that go to it, one probably comes from the battery the other possible goes to the starter motor.

If it is a starter solenoid (remote type) you may be able to replace it with something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-COOPER-I ... 519a5694d6

herman

In my opinion if you look at the photo closely you will see the female connections Esdebe refers to are actually where your wires have broken away from. As the wires have no terminals on them.
It is def a starter relay.
If you can meter the voltage on the broken wires whilst holding the key in the off position and then in the starting position to crank the engine.
If you get 0 v when off and 12 v when key turned then these are the solenoid wires that Have broken off the terminals. (depending on buggy voltage that is).
Try reconnecting them with new terminals you may find solenoid works.
the starter solenoid Esdebe refers to is from the good old mini and is 12v. If yours is 12v then this will work fine.

Cheers Herman