rotoryboy

Hi guys

I have found this site after a couple of weeks research. I am after a road going Buggy for a bit of fun. I have been in the high performance world of Audi's but have just sold them so am now ready for a Freestyle??

I take it there are no official CAD plans around? drawings or Specs?

I like the idea of something quick like the BMW 16v top half on an A Series block, Suzuki Turbo engine or similar. Looking at some of the buggies I would like to do something with the pedal box as I am not sure on the bit across under the passenger footwell. Has anyone one anything similar?

Any advice and info on these buggies will be gratefully received.

Phaeton

Staff member
Welcome to the site Mark, You are correct there are no CAD drawings of Freestyles, there is a part built one on Fleecebay that doesn't seem to be selling currently not a bad price & starting point of £400. The pedals can be converted to a pendulum design, have a search on the site, not sure if the one for sale is floor or pendulum.

Alan...

BRUC3

On the pedal box note, if anyone wants an un-bent pendulam pedal box I may be able to get hold of my old one as I spoke to the bloke who bought my buggy last week and he didnt end up using it!

rotoryboy

Yes I have my eye on the one on eBay and also the one in the for sale section that Andy is selling. Both of them are over 4 hours each way for me so would have to buy blind. The one on eBay may be worth a go to reverse engineer it.

Looking forward to owning one and if I can't then I may have to build from scratch. The IVA scares me a little as I don't know anything about that

Phaeton

Staff member
rotoryboy":1si63l24 said:
Also I have noticed that no one really goes down the bike engined route. It there any particular reason?

Because they are shite!

Seriously the Freestyle is not a balls out track demon, if that's what you're after then you should consider a Slevenlookilikey the bike engines have no torque unless you rev their nuts off & they don't have a reverse which they must have for IVA

Just my opinion of course

Alan...

rotoryboy

That's what I wanted to know lol. Thanks

I'm used to bags of torque with a 5 cyl turbo so would like something quick, but punchy. Anyone played with a TDi?

Sorry I'm like an annoying nephew. I'm sure you have all been through this before

Phaeton

Staff member
Don't worry about it, ask away, no-one currently has gone down the diesel option, there are currently 2x Freestyles with MGF subframes & engines around, Steve2580's Mary & my own Mr Bumble. IMO this option would be a good base to make a diesel, I suspect you could fit plenty of engines in the frame with minimal modification.

Alan...

rotoryboy

Hmmm that sounds interesting. I will have a look at MGF rear subframes then. Any pitfalls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steves2580

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum!

Mary is running standard MGF, rear subframe, engine, gearbox, wiring loom (modified), clocks etc.
The same engine and gearbox that was in the early Lotus Elise, but Mary weights a little bit less ;)

It was a fairly simple conversion, just have a look at my build "Mary's Back"

Hope you find what you are looking for and then you enjoy buggying!!

Steve ;D

rotoryboy

I think the plan will be:

Collect Buggy
Assess parts required, then locate
Finish Buggy (Looking At IVA)

Then go down the MGF Route with subframe and engine etc. I fancy something I can use on the road more than off road. This way I get to learn the in's and out's of these little fun buggies so I can then mod it to the max :D

Steves2580

Mark,

Excellent news!! You've bought one!!

Which Freestyle have you bought??

When do you collect it??

Get some pictures up as soon as you can, get yourself a build thread going ;)

Good luck with your build,

Steve ;D

rotoryboy

I am looking at collecting the red buggy as seen on eBay in a couple of weeks. Need to get it home to see what and where I need to start. I can honestly say I am excited and a tad scared lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk