Not Sure I believe this!!

Phaeton

Staff member
For those who've been round a while when I was building my last buggy will know it was being built with a 998cc engine. Once it was near completion I took it for a couple of runs around the estate, on one of these runs it lost oil pressure & despite, new switch then new pump it didn't come back. So I got a 1275 which was what went through SVA & went with the buggy when sold. Well today I started the 1275 that's in the buggy, it has always been hard to turn over & would quite frequently backfire or at least fire & stop the engine turning. Figured the timing was out, so moved the disty to get it started & then timed it with a strobe, it's got electronic ignition so no points to worry about. Then it happened oil light came on & wouldn't go off, hopefully this time it's only the switch, but if not looks like I'll be running round for another engine, it's quite unbelievable & I wonder why I hate A series engine.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

I've been doing a complete rebuild of my 1330 and have discovered that the oil pressure would have been very very low due to the previous owner have done a rebore and not rebuilt it and checked everything or not kept it clean enough or something got broken and he didn't do anything about it because when we had a look at the oil pump the gear inside looked good and tight fitting, but when we did a closer inspection, we found that crap had got in and made huge gauges and lots of pits on the gear and housing because the oil doesn't get filtered before it reaches the pump. So it might be worth replacing the oil pump if it has any play or has any damage.
Hope this helps.
Max

wurzell

Also worth checking that the oil pressure relief valve is not jammed or stuck open, in which case most of your oil gets dumped straight back into the sump/gearbox, giving very low or next to zero oil pressure...
Just one tiny bit of crud floating around in the system is enough to jam it open.
Solution, remove big hex plug on front of engine, just below oil presure sender unit, remove spring, remove plunger (jam your little finger in it and pull!! :eek:), check for scoring and damage.
Sometimes they need re-seating with block (use fine valve grinding paste, make sure you remove ALL traces of this before reassembly) or fit a new/better one.
I have "rescued" a few condemned Motors in the past by checking this (overlooked) item...