Oil Catch Tank

Phaeton

Staff member
Anyone know how they work & are plumbed in?

Whilst moving the raditor & doing the battery on Bumble I was sick of getting my hands soaked in oil, the whole engine has a film of oil all over it. It currently has 2 vent to atmosphere filters one on the clutch housing & the other on the cam chain housing. Is it possible to plumb them into a catch tank, I sort of assume that's what it's for?

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":1pwzij2d said:
Anyone know how they work & are plumbed in?

Whilst moving the raditor & doing the battery on Bumble I was sick of getting my hands soaked in oil, the whole engine has a film of oil all over it. It currently has 2 vent to atmosphere filters one on the clutch housing & the other on the cam chain housing. Is it possible to plumb them into a catch tank, I sort of assume that's what it's for?

Alan...

I have a catch tank on mine but its a slightly different setup. I believe for emissions reasons they started having the oil vapour feed back into the inlet on modern cars but in my experience its not ideal for the engine! I have 2 breathers coming from my rocker cover that feed into a catch tank and then a small filter on top that vents to atmosphere.

If they already feed to atmosphere then there should be no problems having them go to a catch tank. If the catch tank has a small filter on top then it will be the same as if it goes to atmosphere, but you will be collecting the oil vapour rather than having it coat your engine!

Jason :D

Mini Mad Max

I always see there are those little filters you can put on top of the crank ventilation cans, and they're specifically designed to stop the smell of the acrid oil vapour from seeping into the passenger compartment, but I'm not sure they prevent oil from coming out completely. The Oil vapour can be compared to solar winds, you usually get steady output of it, but now and again you get big flares off the crank that manage to come out the top :p I think a catch tank serves a good condensation medium for the oil vapour to collect, so is a good idea for preventing an oily film on your engine. However, remember it is still very important to vent it to the atmosphere, due to the turbulence and varying pressures caused by the rotation assembly. Basically for minis, the set up is pipes off the top of the crank ventilation cannisters, to a T-piece that then leeds to a catch tank... Simples :)
Max

wagon

I have a wee catch can i was going to use on my truck, but have since changed my mind. I was thinking of welding an output onto the rocker, and teeing it into the fly cover and timing cover and then into the catchcan, which i would put a breather on top off.  I'll be loosing the rear breather if/when I bolt up the 'charger :)
P1040828.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
So if I go for something like THIS there are 3 connectors, where do they go? 1 in, 1 out to a filter & the bottom one to a drain tap?

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
think this mod is something i will do as well fed up of cleaning oil off the engine

Phaeton

Staff member
If you want one Danny & have it brought to Newark let me know, they are only about 3 miles down the road from where I work & I'm going to go collect one.

EDIT:- Just seen it's free delivery, so it's up to you.

Alan...

wagon

Seems a bit strangely designed....

why would you need a magnet if you where going to throw the crap away!

Mini Mad Max

wagon":2bwluyyh said:
Seems a bit strangely designed....

why would you need a magnet if you where going to throw the crap away!
On cars that don't have the pan scourer like mesh inside their crank vents, any oil that comes out could be containing shrapnel, and then if you send it back to the engine, its gonna put the metal back into the engine which ain't goood.
Max

wagon

why would you empty a catch can into the engine?

If that was the way you wanted to do it the you'd be as well attaching the drain to the sump and be maintenance free!

Mini Mad Max

Some people have them in a circuit that feed from and to the rocker cover etc, so i presume if there's airborn crap it might possibly get sucked back, but now you say that, there's not much point in a magnetic drain, as gravity is going to make it settle at the bottom like in the sump, and there are no moving parts in an oil catch tank so they're not such a problem swilling around. It's no problem with a mini engine anyway, any solid crap will not get through the wire mesh mess in the crank vents, and should get collected on the magnet on the sump plug anyway.
Max