oil choice

Radar

hi guys ,

what engine oil are you guys using in the mini "A" series / metro engines  any recommends ? engine/gearbox one type same blend

Halfords classic mineral looks good to me £16 /4.5 L but did see some Tescos own mineral much cheaper any suggestions

Phaeton

Staff member
I use the cheapest oil I can find, currently Wilko multi-grade as far as I'm concerend it's an agricultural engine, that as long as it has some slippy stuff in will keep going.

However may disagree, they seem to get quite heated about it http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/in ... 143753&hl= but then again I think the average age on the site is 14.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
Oil is good I change mine very often!

Like monthly in the apparant summer months....

I always get my oil at trade price so it does not cost much really

I been using green 20/50 for the last few years

Danny

wurzell

Agree with Phaeton's comments, and I too use Wilko's 20/50W...
Also use it in my mighty Allaggro, all year round, and I have Trialled that, and occasionally driven it very hard!

Dont fall for the later Haynes "Book of Fibs", or even Rovers last/final recommendations of 10/40W or similar, I can assure you that the Gearbox, and especially the Diff Pin will take great exception to that!!

If you run that particular grade, and drive it in "a Sporting manner", it justs wears itself out, twice as fast as normal....

tiggersmini

I agree with everyone else I use the cheapest oil i can find and change it every few thousand miles. Using the same oil for engine and box ruins the oil fairly quickly, so cheaper the better plus cant afford £25 plus on oil every couple of months!!
Boyd

Asbo

mine gets whatever i blag out the scrappers at work...saves it going to the bin...and i've got a nice wee oil leak that means im topping up fairly regular so its always gettin fresh stuff. any grade,but its always mixed anyways.