OIL pressure ??? what should it be?

FFTS

OK Lolas up and running. Had some carb and wiring problems I think are solved now. Just wanted to ask if anyone knows what kind of oil pressure readings I should get at what revs. It seems to have dropped since the new engine was first fitted. Dont seem to have any problems just not sure why it is lower than it was. The engine is a 1340cc, big valves. 1.5 roller rockers and 1.75 Hif44.

esdebe

from what I've read, it's not important if the pressure is high, or low, just that it is constant and that the oil warning light isn't on

jerry

Hi,

Oil pressure is important!

At tickover you should have 15-25PSI, and at anything over 3000rpm you should have 60PSI.

If oil pressure is low, then dont panic. Remove the oil pressure relief valve and clean the plunger and clean the fixed seat in the block. Very common to get a bit of crap holding the valve open, which will reduce pressure.

An engine will always slightly lose pressure when its run in compared to being brand newas bearing clearances will grow as everything beds in. Oil will get thinner as it gets used, which will lower the pressure as well.

Jerry

Phaeton

Staff member
From memory it's somewhere near the oil pressure switch, & the pipe that comes out of the block & goes down to the filter. It's quite a large bolt, behind it you'll find a spring with a ballbearing at the end which when in place sits into a corresponding recess in the block. When the oil pressure builds up it forces the ball bearing back against the spring to let oil past limiting the amount of pressure. But what can happen is dirt gets there & the oil seeps through lowering the pressure.

Alan...