Performance

How do people rate the performance of their buggies? ive seen the R1 and K series projects which will be rapid, but what about normal mini engines. is performance similar to that of a normal mini?

toyotacat1

Hi
The spec for mine's on my website (http://freestylebuggy.co.uk ) only difference is i'm now running on volvo 14" alloys wrapped in 175/70 R14 colways which overall is an extra 1/4" bigger than the 13's i was running! and i would say mines fairly quick and handles very well with standard suspention and excessive camber on the front (due to wheel size exagerating it). I'd say it's performance is possibly better than a mini's but it's all down to gearing it's ok putting larger wheels on (13,14 & 15" ) but if the final drive (differential) is'nt changed you can suffer on standing starts or climbing steep hills but on the flat accellerating while moving is very good and so's top end. With mine running a 4.13-1 final drive i've got good accelleration great at climbing hills and i get a top end of about 95-100 (scary stuff in a buggy trust me!) but they don't like that as they are too light on the front end and tend to wonder but that may be due to setup! but then the buggy was'nt intended for speed. I've built mine for a mix of offroad and road use and have No problems with how mine handles on either and i think wurzel might agree as he's had a short test drive in mine.

Cheers

Lee

jerry

Hi,

The buggy will out perform a mini due to the fact that its soooo much lighter.

A mini weighs around 800kg's, whereas a buggy weighs around 500ish kg's. same power, less weight= more bhp per ton.

Jerry :)