Powdercoating

Asbo

hi guys,getting right into the rebuild of buggy lately and was wondering how much to expect to pay to have 4 superlites,7jj x 13 done. my mate says he'd remove tyres/send for shotblast at £10ea then coat them in any colour for a total of £100. that includes tyres refitted and balanced. thought that was a bit cheap,even for my tite-wad reputation.  ::) ;D

also,looking for one (or two) superlites as spare(s)

Phaeton

Staff member
Don't think that's a bad price Wullie, it's normally around £40 a wheel as for wheels I may have 3 bare ones coming up as soon as I can get the tyres taken off.

Alan...

biddleboy

hi wullie i bought one of those electrostatic powder coating machines and they are spot on for all bits of buggy including wheels just a thought might be worth a look at them if its going to cost you 100 quid plus you may as well buy one and do it your self all so other bits i use a heat gun or a blow heater to cure they do the same job but takes a bit longer

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry Wullie to go off at a tangent, Steve are they any good, how clean does the metal have to be to get good coverage, I was going to buy one but thought you'd need a sandblast cabinet to do a proper job.

Alan...

Asbo

Phaeton":3nxnls4q said:
Don't think that's a bad price Wullie, it's normally around £40 a wheel as for wheels I may have 3 bare ones coming up as soon as I can get the tyres taken off.

Alan...

let me know,i'll have 1 or 3 of them (with/without tyres)if they not too 'spensive. also,ive got the original BBS/MAHLE 6Jx13 white(cross-spoke) alloys with the almost bald colways that came wi my buggy if anyones interested in them? not sure if im posting in the correct bit,but im sure it'll be re-posted if not? ::)

Asbo

biddleboy":1yf7w092 said:
hi wullie i bought one of those electrostatic powder coating machines and they are spot on for all bits of buggy including wheels just a thought might be worth a look at them if its going to cost you 100 quid plus you may as well buy one and do it your self all so other bits i use a heat gun or a blow heater to cure they do the same job but takes a bit longer

cheers for that,but i'd rather farm it oot,as my mate says.....i mite have a mig,but im not a welder.......

shoulda heard him when i said i had a fire extinguisher!! lol

**cheers alan**

biddleboy

Phaeton":r0xkorc6 said:
Sorry Wullie to go off at a tangent, Steve are they any good, how clean does the metal have to be to get good coverage, I was going to buy one but thought you'd need a sandblast cabinet to do a proper job.

Alan...
they are really good as long as you get the rust off your ok

Asbo

Phaeton":127vb2nk said:

Alan...

let me know if they still available?i'd have one,or all three if price ok.cheers.

Phaeton

Staff member
Wullie, hoping to get tyres off tomorrow, you can pick them up along with the other item we were talking about have you still got those other alloys?

Alan...

Asbo

yea,the white cross spoke ones? think theres 5 in the shed,prob only two good tyres on them tho.

Phaeton

Staff member
What size are they, do you know? Looking to put some slightly narrower tyres on for the off road days

Alan...

Asbo

they made by MAHLE/BBS....size is 6j x 13. think maybe metro gta? tyres are 185/70 x 13. at least two,poss three are legal,but personally,i'd recut the baldies with an angle grinder? alswo,if 6j size is inches??...then a 155 tyre would fit ok?

jason_l

wulliecosse":5gwigue9 said:
they made by MAHLE/BBS....size is 6j x 13. think maybe metro gta? tyres are 185/70 x 13. at least two,poss three are legal,but personally,i'd recut the baldies with an angle grinder? alswo,if 6j size is inches??...then a 155 tyre would fit ok?

6j is the width in inch's but that is measured from inside wheel without tyre and doesn't include the lip itself (if this makes sense) so will be more like 6.5 inch's wide. Most 7j wheels are actually wider than 7.5 inch's when you measure them.

as in this picture....

backspacing.gif