Power steering problem

stew_fox

Hi i have an audi A4 2004 and my power steering went this morning on my way to work and its rock solid now, i checked the power steering fluid and this was below min so i purchased some from halfords and topped up to max, but still no change in the steering wheel. its still heavy!! any help guys

thanks

Steves2580

Hi Stew,

Has it spat the belt off the power steering pump?? :(
Was there any other lights on the dash or have you hurd anything different (squeel or knock)??

Could also be an air lock in the system, but they would normally self bleed!!

Have a look and let us know!

Steve.

stew_fox

Ill check the belt later and get back to you, i did concider the air lock but didnt think it would create such a big problem, havent noticed a knocking noise or grinding, if the level was below the min would there be any fluid going to the pump, although i have topped it up i may need to push it through to the pump manually, i.e moving the wheel around etc.???

thanks

stew_fox

Checked the belt and yes you were right it was hanging off, but its also sheered something or other and now needs a new altenator and pulley, plus the timeing belt is going so have to replace that at a total cost of £750.00 OUCH!!

Phaeton

Staff member
Stew,

think I'd be asking for a 2nd opinion, that seems like an awful lot for a snapped belt.

Alan...

stew_fox

well i phoned audi and they told me it would be costing more and i checked with them that the guy from the garage ordered the parts which was true so at least i know i have audi parts being replaced, just brought a buggy haha!! wasnt expecting this. Nevermind

Thanks guys