Private Number plates....

Danny

Administrator
Hello Chaps,

Right on my van I have a private reg which is (M) reg and well I have no need for a van any more so I need to take teh plate off, along with all teh bull crap of havingt o MOT and tax it I also think I want to put it on my buggy.

Now, my buggy on the V5 says first year of registration is 2003 so in theory I can put my private (M) reg plate on it even though the existing plate is an 1979 (V) reg....

When I finally get the joys of getting to the DVLA office to do the move do you reckon I will be ok getting it on the buggy??

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
Nope not a cat's chance, you need a newer than 1995?? vehicle, use Jane's shopping trolly.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
It should also say in Section 3 Special Notes, REBUILT - ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS SOME OR ALL OF WHICH WERE NOT NEW

But you never know, from my experience apart from Nottingham most DVLA staff don't seem to know their arse from their elbow, if you're prepared to waste 2.5 hours of your life queuing give it a shot. But I think as soon as they see you currently have a V plate & want to put on a M plate & it's not already on a 'cherished' number it will send them into meltdown, they will stand & start to go round in circles muttering "does not compute, does not compute, does not compute".

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
"REBUILT - ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS SOME OR ALL OF WHICH WERE NOT NEW"

Yeah I saw that, but after reading a few threads on the mad about kit cars forum it would seem as long as it does say "this registration cannot be moved from this vehicle" it may be worth a shot?

Only time will tell, I have to get the van MOT'd and tax'd first so I can get the plate off that :)

Danny

Administrator
Well I did the number plate move today :)

just need to wait for the V5's to come back and the buggy will be on the Private plate :)

Danny

Administrator
Also I was in and out in 10 minutes :) no queue what so ever at the DVLA office today and I got there at 10 :)

Perfect

Phaeton

Staff member
That's good news I was supposed to go take my 'ALZ' off the MR2 today but was ill so didn't get chance, going to try for tomorrow. But don't know whether to transfer that to the buggy & sell on FEZ that's on there.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
its not completed till the paper work is in my hand so I am not holding my breath but still the computer seemed to think it was ok...

she even queried it saying that the original number is a private number.... lol I was like no its a kit car :) She then said that it was ok :) Paid my £80 and legged it :)

Hmmm do any of them mean anything to you? I gotta pay to change my insurance so I wont be doing too much swapping about....lol

Steve

I think on my log book it says "Not Transferable" does that mean I can not put another plate on the Buggy or does it mean I can't put the Buggy plate on another car? (does that make sense).

Alan
Sorry to hear your not well, hope you get better soon.

Steve

Danny

Administrator
I think steve it depends which muppet is reading it..... honest the DVLA is soooo inconsistent

I would say that you could put a private plate on it......