Rear Arch Brackets

Phaeton

Staff member
I prefer to have my rear arch brackets fastened to my hubs, but always having trouble the metal fatigues & breaks. Nipped out today as I'm away all week & wouldn't you know it one breaks. So I take it off to re-weld & come up with an idea, which I thought was good until I thought more about it. So want your input.

Made a bracket that goes round the bottom of the shock which I then intend brace to the arch bracket as per photos.

2010-04-24190607.jpg

2010-04-24190620.jpg

2010-04-24190631.jpg

2010-04-24191058.jpg

So the question is, the arch bracket attached to the hub & the bottom of the shock will go up & down together, but will the angle between them change. If not then a solid brace will work, if not then it won't & all it will do is introduce a different vibration likely tocause more damage.

Alan...

HolyCount

My thoughts are that the angle will change as load is place on or taken off the rear wheel. A good rock might see the whole shebang in bits.

Me thinjs the arch can only be mounted to the wheel alone or to the bodywork alone .... any connection between the two (even to the shocks) is a no-no

Phaeton

Staff member
You're right Kev, the part of the shock I was going to mount to actually does go up & down as it's attached to the top arm. But I had the back end up on a jack & then eased it down onto the ramps, as it did I could see the amount of movement was vastly different, so as you say a no no.

I have for the time being just repaired the existing bracket as I've very short on time before Stoneleigh, hopefully it will get me there & back without incident.

Alan...