Robs freestyle project Discussion Thread

robcoles

How do suck fan work? To me it looks the same as my existing fan.
Not that it matters much how it works just that it works lol

Phaeton

Staff member
Yes they did I just thought they looked fugly, if I was a whiz at either fibreglass or aluminium fabrication I would have done it in either, but I'm not sure that I ever cracked it completely until I went FMR

How do suck fan work? Go me it looks the same as my existing fan. Not that it matters much how it works just that it works lol

When the engine was in a Mini the air would come in through the front grill, swirl around the engine & then get picked up by the fan & pushed out through the radiator into the inner wing, where I understand a type of vortex was set-up which then assisted by sucking the air out of the inner wing by taking it under the car. Problem in the buggy is the air doesn't get there in the first place because of the firewall, by reversing the blade action of the fan it sucks the air from the outside of the buggy & pulls it through the radiator & then out the back of the buggy. Adding the Metro fan (which pushes) to the outside of the radiator that also pushes extra air through the radiator in assistance to the mechanical fan especially when at low revs the water pump is not moving the water very quickly so the extra volume of air cooling the radiator helps

Phaeton

Staff member
I suppose it could have already have been a sucky fan & it was assumed it wasn't, if you start your engine & put a piece of A4 on the outside of the radiator & slightly rev the engines, sucky fan will pull the paper onto the radiator, if it's blowing it will push it off the radiator. If I haven't thrown it I had a brand new push fan in the workshop I'll take a picture tomorrow IF it's still there, I do tend to skip bits if I no longer see a need for them.

Lilspeed

Just a thought, there's something I've been meaning to try on my buggy to aid cooling a bit that you could add to your arsenal of anti-overheating devices!
I also have a Mk2 MR2 to play with when it's not buggy weather. It has a sort of scoop under the front of the engine bay that channels air up toward the engine from under the car.
I reckon that seeing as the gear linkage and gearbox on a Freestyle are a bit lower than the floor panels, it wouldn't reduce ground clearance by much at all if it had a similar thing. I was thinking of just a bent bit of tin the width of the engine with a couple brackets either side would be worth a try.

Phaeton

Staff member
I have this fan in the workshop

20150803_171125.jpg
it says engine side on this side

How does it compare with yours

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
Phaeton":3kty1q5e said:
I have this fan in the workshop

20150803_171125.jpg
it says engine side on this side

How does it compare with yours

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

thats the standard mini fan

Lilspeed

robcoles":1hvr79kx said:
This will probably sound like a dumb question but I keep reading about fans being fitted the wrong way around.
Looking at my fans fitting point it has one side flat & one side countersunk , I've fitted countersunk side to waterpump pulley. I really can't imagine this to be incorrect but it's worth asking you guys incase I've made a stupid mistake lol

Er, that's a suck fan. Correctly fitted.

Phaeton

Staff member
Lilspeed":1lf40wg7 said:
[Er, that's a suck fan. Correctly fitted.
So if that is the case then, I'd check the waterpump is okay, that the thermostat is opening properly & the radiator is not blocked up

robcoles

I have fitted a new water pump & new fletcher aluminium radiator + removed thermostat & fitted a thermostat blanking sleeve.
I'm running out of ideas now lol

Phaeton

Staff member
Personal preferences, but I like to see over engine so prefer to keep that area clear bugs me even with my tent on it, you still need to ensure that the pump is working well & you probably need some form of electronic switch to bring the fans on.

Phaeton

Staff member
Brilliant news Rob, just a question are the fans on the correct side? blow or suck? as the actress asked the bishop his preference

robcoles

I haven't wired fans as yet but I'm pretty sure they are blow , if not I can easily fit them on other side
It's good to be able to drive without stressing about overheating ;D

wagon

Just had a look through your thread, love the metro turbo buggy
buggy. Very nice work you have been doing

robcoles

Thanks wagon , I haven't done much to
Buggy lately. I've been out in it making the most of the weather :)
I did wire cooling fans in today.