Robs freestyle project

robcoles

As most of you know I bought my buggy thinking it was good to go.
Well after blowing a piston it's now became a bit of a project.

This is the day I collected buggy

And as engine came out

Scrapped & sanded subframe

Re painted subframe

Removed side panels , arches & fuel cells now at paint shop

Roll cage sanded & primed

And finally re-sprayed yellow :)

Well that's it so far :)

robcoles

Had a day in the garage today. Plan was to start the engine rebuild but on further inspection of the short block & pistons supplied buy the guy I bought buggy from it became apparent that it would need a rebore & new pistons.
So after a few phone calls block is now with Cardiff engines.
I returned to garage to continue stripping engine ready for when I get block back but reached a stop when I didn't have a socket to fit fly wheel nut ( anyone know what size it is)

Rather than call it a day I decided to prep & spray spare wheel bracket & fit new rubber flooring I to buggy :)

robcoles

So today I stripped engine ready for recon

Finished cutting in new flooring

And been contacted by body shop to say panels are ready

All in all a good day :)

robcoles

Today I started to rebuild engine, got a fair bit done :)
I did have a problem when I took the drive that goes to distributor out of damaged block & found it was not the right one for the replacement block. The drive from the old block has a bigger diameter and dizzy fits to a collar that fits to block.
Luckily I have a old engine that had the part I needed, but I now need a replacement dizzy as old one don't fit.
Do anyone know what dizzy I will Need to get hold of :/

robcoles

A quick update ...... Engine is almost complete now , just clutch & rocker cover left to fit.
Today I've relieved delivery of my Minilight 7j's with yokahoma tyres fitted also my fletcher aluminium radiator :)
Hoping it's on the road by August

robcoles

A full day in garage today ..... Fitted new trackrod ends & alloys.
Fitted clutch & adjusted tappets.
Dropped engine back into buggy & fitted it into place.
Next will
Be wiring & plumbing & hopefully it will live again lol

robcoles

Buggy is now running :)
Clutch seems to be adjusted correctly now.
I've fitted a second radiator with electric fan, but still need to wire fan up.
I did wire it to coil live but when fan was running engine cut out lol

robcoles

Took buggy for a spin tonight
Only a few miles and temperature was almost in the red :/
Ffs ..... Not happy at all.
Also oil light flickered on but I'm guessing this is because engine was hot so oil thins at high temperature

Danny

Administrator
Ah the a series boiling it's arse off....

I used an up rated water pump on mine a fan from an mg midget as it duck rather than blows then and electric fan that also helped... adding an expansion tank and an oil cooling will always help

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

robcoles

Spent an hour on buggy today fitted the thermostat blanking sleeve & removed chequer plate bulkhead.
Took buggy out for a quick spin , only a couple of miles to see how temp would be without bulkhead shielding the air from engine bay. As I said only a couple of miles but temp gauge didn't go above 1/2 way.

robcoles

I know not everyone is a fan of mounting the radiator up high but it has worked for me :)
I havnt wired fans yet but I've had a good hour ripping around in the buggy after spending the day fitting the rad.
Temp stayed just below 1/4

robcoles

Buggy is booked into pro-speed exhausts for 7th October. I'm having a R1 box that's been in my garage some years fabricated to fit & also getting a stainless steel back bumper fabricated at the same time.
Whilst spending on the back end I also ordered a spare wheel cover & I'm having a decal printed for the cover :)

For anyone that don't recognise the image it's Eddie from the one and only IRON MAIDEN

robcoles

Steering cowl fitted & cables secured (no longer hanging on floor)

Air filter & wheel cover fitted

Slowly getting there :)

robcoles

Had exhaust & bumper fitted.
Looks good but R1 exhaust don't throw exhaust fumes out fast enough causing buggy to run like shit & exhaust & turbo pipe to get glowing hot.
It's going back in tomorrow to have a s/s back box made