Scorp sold.. bike now ???

Radar

Well Guys ,

my scorpion 3 sold today full asking price :))))) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D plus some dosh for extras I am well happy. The guy collected it today and its gone to a good new home .

Now I have all this money burning a hole in my pocket what to buy next ??? I am sorely tempted by a motorbike because its less storage soo won't affect my garage space it's easy to have serviced or fixed anywhere in the country unlike the scorpion and if I buy smart can keep it for years and years fair enough with some depreciation compared to the scorpion true but it will bottom out and I can live with that .

Plus I really fancy a euro tour with Dan and on a bike cant think of more fun ?

should I buy a bike and get back into ???what do you guys think ?

Radar

Phaeton

Staff member
Well done on the sale Pete, as regards to what to do with the dosh, that is such a difficult question, assuming we're talking £8k+ then you could get your hands on a nicely set-up sevenesque car with enough left over for a cheap bike, best of both worlds. On the other hand if it's touring you want to do the leader is supposed to be the BMW GS range should be able to get a good one for that money.

Alan...

Radar

Thanks Alan funny I was thinking the BMW GS range with panniers etc how strange is that ? I dont want ...at least I think I don't want a seven type car I had a MK Indy that was set up for racing around 2008-2010 and it was ok but had twin 45 webber carbs which were a pain in the ass to keep setting up so I got rid and stayed with the scorpions . Bikes are appealing at the minute because of the ease of storage I can even put one in my garden patio area with one of those monster covers its like a ribbed foldaway tent thing but keeps all the weather off it better than a tarp and it folds away when not in use .And my garden area is as secure as anywhere can always put a ground anchor in easily enough as an extra detterent but that would just be for the insurance company . So I will look around and not rush into things buying the bike is just the first bit, insurance ,passing my test on them oh and all that riding gear costs theres a grand in getting all the gear easily for quality stuff something worth considering .. why is everything so damn expensive ! lol

Radar

Phaeton

Staff member
Radar":17qa1a36 said:
passing my test on them

That sort of puts a completely different slant on it for me, I wouldn't recommend anybody with no experience jumping on a 11/1200cc 450lb bike, I sort of presumed you already had a license & some experience, also not saying you're a short arse but the seat height is 33-35 inches which is challenging until you get used to it. With all that in mind I would suggest something a bit smaller initially like Danny has, gain some experience on a lightweight before moving up a class. I'd advise putting in for your DAS which you do on a 500cc bike as far as I know & then see how you get on.

Alan...

Radar

Thanks Alan I mostly agree (about the short arse bit lol definately) alsoI need re-training without a doubt, it is daft not to have professional training but I rode bikes for years in my youth granted much lower power but I did ride some big stuff when I lived abroad mainly in the states too . So I am not totally green or new when handling a bike however I acknowledge a 25 year gap in riding regularly is something that needs addressing and all the proper training I can get would be sensible as well as a legal requirement of course . I am not saying I could just jump aboard a 1000cc monster but I have probably done 20,000 miles of varied riding under my belt in the past and you know what they say about "its like riding a bike " you never forget !! you just have to unlearn the bad habits and learn the correct way of soing things :)

I am a bit loathe to buy one bike for a year or two and lose money when the inevitable trade up comes I would rather buy "the" one I want and ride it like a vicar for a year until I had the mileage under my belt and then expand on that as I go along .

Phaeton

Staff member
If you do go for any size bike I would always recommend hunting out the local IAM group, maybe I was lucky with the Sheffield group in that they were a great bunch of blokes & a few women. I had always thought I could ride but once out with them they showed me so much more, road positioning, more forward thinking & observation etc. things may have changed since I took my advanced, but there was no cost involved you just paid for your observers fuel & of course his/her bacon butty & mug of tea at the half-way point.

Alan..

Radar

thanks Alan good tip I will take that advice . I am aware that I know nothing or have a very low level of true bike skill , however as I said I am not totally green . I think I should take your advice and take it one step at a time and get all the help I can cheers for the input it was worthwhile. And the good thing is its advice that will be heeded instead of nodded to lol.

Radar

Danny

Administrator
I went down the route of doing the 125 first then this 650 :)

You do your test on a 600 other wise you will be restricted to a smaller bike for 2 years...

I have done near 3000 miles on mine now :) Still scare myself but 650 is ample power for me :)

I am looking at doing the IAM course as well :) Although I have had some pretty good training already and I had way more lessons than I needed but it was all good and a few of the older bikers I ride with are more than happy with my riding :)

Danny

Administrator
lol

I go to get married there next year and plan on moving there in late 2014 early 2015 I will be back for the uk summer :) As I do have business to do over here :)

So a euro trip is still on the cards no matter what :)

Radar

That one is not mine Alan ,

the guy that bought mine is a fellow member of the scorp club currently on the 3 rd annual scorpion club tour of the states with some other scorp members and our American scorp owners too. When he returns he is taking my old one that he bought on tour through France spain and italy for the scorp clubs annual european tour . He already owns a scorp but its currently off the road and he bought mine as a back up so he would not miss the euro tour ..(yes he does have some money his other car is an Audi R8 plus a harley etc etc .) toys galore

Tell you what for a bunch of oldies the Scorpion club guys do a lot of track days and drives out plus an annual euro tour and an annual usa tour past 3 years as well makes us lot in muddy buggies look dull by comparison !

Radar