Single or Split Body Panels?

Keyz

Hi guys,

Just measuring up for my body panels, and had a thought.
Every other buggy I've seen has the triangular front panel (the one cut to fit around the steering rack) on the outside of the car, then the larger section on the inside of the car.
Is there any reason for this (other than aesthetics) or can I just cut one big piece of chequer-plate in the shape of both pieces combined and rivet it to the outside of the box sections?

Would there be any SVA implications to doing this?

Hope this makes sense,
Rich

iank

Keyz":1je0xczd said:
Hi guys,

Just measuring up for my body panels, and had a thought.
Every other buggy I've seen has the triangular front panel (the one cut to fit around the steering rack) on the outside of the car, then the larger section on the inside of the car.
Is there any reason for this (other than aesthetics) or can I just cut one big piece of chequer-plate in the shape of both pieces combined and rivet it to the outside of the box sections?

Would there be any SVA implications to doing this?

Hope this makes sense,
Rich

I think it's just a history/aesethics thing.

I've seen a few, including, Simon (esdebe) who have a single outer panel on his.
Probably easier for SVA/IVA as fewer edges to worry about.

See http://www.muddybuggies.com/photos/image/947
and http://www.esdebe.co.uk//buggy/CornFields//00048.jpg

jason_l

This is mine,

4183_214115030472_587840472_7072200_5251264_n.jpg

its a composite panel but just one panel on the outside, rather than the two overlaid.

Nothing wrong with it for IVA as far as i believe, as long as it has the correct radius edges and no sharp parts.

Jason :)

Angel Boy

Guys,
Do we think the radius of the box section will meet the internal radius requirements for Mr IV and Mr A?

Andy

jason_l

Angel Boy":230rwijd said:
Guys,
Do we think the radius of the box section will meet the internal radius requirements for Mr IV and Mr A?

Andy

I have the inside panels as well that im going to stick in for IVA then remove afterwards.  ;)

Phaeton

Staff member
Angel Boy":2h00blx2 said:
Guys,

Andy

Difficult one Andy really, the only one I have ever known fail was Paul's at Derby, you're going to the same place as Jamie.B & they never questioned it. I know what I would do, or rather what I did on several occasions.

Alan...

Angel Boy

True, forgot that Jamie with his immaculate build has been recently.  Just wondered with the regs implying that if open top then the inside will be measured the same as the outside regarding radii.  Do we need to box in all the steering column and a like since we no longer have an except zone behind the steering etc?  As you can see I'm doing some resources required planning  :-\

Andy

iank

Angel Boy":12v0g34c said:
True, forgot that Jamie with his immaculate build has been recently.  Just wondered with the regs implying that if open top then the inside will be measured the same as the outside regarding radii.  Do we need to box in all the steering column and a like since we no longer have an except zone behind the steering etc?  As you can see I'm doing some resources required planning   :-\

Andy

Who told you there was no exempt zone behind the steering wheel?
It's still in the latest (May 09) IVA manual (Section 12 Annex 1) page 5 of the section, page 101 of the pdf.