Speedo help

HolyCount

'Ey up. Tis time I got a speedo for mein trike. There was a time I was up on the subject, but the mists of time have removed it all from my brain !!!!

OK .... engine is 1275 A+ on autobox. Front wheel hasn't a speedo drive, or the facility to mount one.

So .. options are a mechanical speedo run from a cable off the box  (where do we get longer than stock cables? ) or a digital, like acewell.

With a digital, can use wheel mounted sensors and magnets (not a favoured option), or a terratrip (?) running from the 'box and then wired to the speedo.  Have looked at the terratrip site and can't find the adaptor  .... anybody know what I SHOULD be looking for and where to find it ???

Any ideas / advice welcome  ;D

HolyCount

Thanks Alan.  To ease the possible shock I have mailed Speedy Cables !  Need to see if they can accomodate the cable terminating in the correct configuration for a bike speedo.  Now off to investigate digital speedos (just in case) !

Phaeton

Staff member
Kev,

Problem with fitting a bike speedo head to a Mini gearbox won't be the cable, that'll be a doddle for them, the issue will be the calibration. Thinking how many times a bike wheel goes round at 70mph compared with a 10" Mini wheel, also a Mini's speedo probably goes from 0-80 where a bike goes 0-180

Will be interesting to see how it actually reads.

Alan...

HolyCount

After a little searching around the net I actually found a solution on the good old Bay of E ! Koso do a nice looking speedo :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

And they also have an adaptor for the classic mini gearbox take off:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Speedometer-Cable ... 3cb1974561

So the options will be to either: extend the mechanical drive with a male to female extension from speedy cables. Or, more attractive, extend the electrical cables. This will make routing far less problematic (doing away with tight curves and/or angle drives for a mechanical cable). I have enquired as to whether there are stock extensions available (for the sake of warranties). Otherwise it wouldn't be impossible to cut and splice in a few extra feet.

HolyCount

Alan, discussed all with the guy doing the spade work  (he was originally doing the frame --- got him wiring as well now !!) anyway ..... I haven't decoded it all yet ... but this is what he says ......

"yeah all of it was getting too complex and expensive.

distance from speedo drive on box to anywhere a speedo might mount no further away than rear wheel would have been on a Norton, just need to fit which ever plastic cog one needs to give the right cable revolutions and or add an available inline cable gearbox as needed to get cable revs to match the speedo head one can get cheap,

or since the harley has the same problem, same answer an ultra thin thing that fits where no speedo drive was meant to go, yes like the one you found only cheaper, but yeah left handed is correct.
Which again then couples straight up with a cable to a cheaply available speedo head.

Try the first option first and if no one can tell us what colour cog with which number of teeth gives the result required then go with the bit of aftermarket harley fix-it.

I say chances are Leyland used that same AP fourspeed in various things and there will therefore be a range of plastic speedo drive gears which one just changes to suit the wheel size/diff ratio/speedo head calibration, it has to be simple, it's Leyland, famed for re-using the self same parts bin to build it's almost entire product range, I expect the head, cable and the plastic gear were Smiths as a matched set supplied, some one must know what the cable rpm match is for an automatic metro, and then I just go pull the drive out and check what colour cog we have at the moment."

Anyone ??