Steering Wheel Size for SVA?????

jason_l

Any body know if there is a legal size for a steering wheel for the SVA test. we quite fancy a small wheel, well i say small, more sort of miniscule 250mm to be precise, will there be any problems with sva and this size of wheel????

thanks in advance guys,

Jaosn :p

Danny

Administrator
rob one off a metro for sva cos they need to be rounded endges ect dave has got one froma rover that he uses.

Danny

jason_l

"Danny"":rwv16g4o said:
rob one off a metro for sva cos they need to be rounded endges ect dave has got one froma rover that he uses.

Danny

bloody SVA!!!!!!!!, i hate the fact it will be looking crap and more like a big bouncey cudley toy with all the edges rounded and covered in foam, gaurds, protective wrapping.....................

and then when it finally passes it will all get ripped off and become a actual sexy looking buggy,

we are way off SVA but im getting pissed off with it already!!!! :x

Jason :p

Phaeton

Staff member
Size of wheel is not important, 250mm will pa ssokay, but must have either a collaspable boss or a pad fitted. Also be careful that it doesn't have any holes or slot larger than 12mm.

Alan...

Asbo

on the subject of steering wheels.....jason.....is that a real nun gesticulating.... or an animated character? lol.

FFTS

Also think about the sensitivity of your steering. A normal size wheel can get scary at 80+mph. Thats only going to get accentuated with a smaller wheel.

Latest news on Lola :) Fired her up and she sounds amazing with a real low rumble on tick over and you could orgasm when shes revved. Checked everything over before a short test drive (mmm something niggling??) Anyway.. came to T junction on local rd and got a reminder that I should have bled the breaks hahaha,

Then she died and after pushing her back home traced down that the mechanical fuel pump had broken inside so looks like I may put a fast Rd electric pump on. whhooo.. she getting there :)

Asbo

had mine on the return trip from work earlier,up to about 90mph on a private stretch of the M74(honest officer).'tis scary on a straight,but i'd not be lookin to change to a smaller steering wheel!! also,does anyone know a supplier/spec for an accelerator cable,and a speedo cable? both in a state of snappness lol.

jason_l

Thanks for the reply's guys.

I would like a normal size steering wheel but we are having to modify the car a bit to get my mate in it comfortably. he is ALOT bigger than me and where as i sat in daves fine. It looked like he was in a mini clown car, we are having to fit the seats right back with no rails for that extra bit of height and modify the steering coloumn back as well so he can actually turn the wheel! lol

iank

A good compromise giving valuable legroom while still having a 'normal' sized wheel is to go for a D shaped one.

What seats are you using? There's scope for getting extra room depending the type you fit.

esdebe

Be advised that each SVA centre or even SVA examiner has their own interpretation of the stearing wheel protection requirements. In my case the very padded original Mini one failed on the grounds that it would not take any of the force in an impact and as a result a colapsable boss was required. Changing to the colapsable boss gave me a biger selection of wheels and sizes, and from talkign to the SVA man , there is no limitation on the size providing it doesn't impact the cars ability to self centre (if it is too big and rubs). But when getting a smaller one also bear in mind that anything behind the wheel doesn't need to be tested for shap edges, the smaller the wheel the less you can fit behing it. Also make sure that the wheel doesen't obscure the view of the speedo / warning lindiatiors / lights

Simon

Steve

I used a metro one for the SVA mainly for the reasons Simon said. Anything behind it does not get tested, The first time I went, I had a smaller wheel on and they came up with all types of things why it was wrong. I had slots in my wheel which you would not be able to get a pencil in, but they failed it because I might get my fingers caught in it and tear them off every time I turned a corner.
I did mention to him that this was highly unlikely and besides it would only happen on ten corners, then after that I would be fine.
Didn't go down to well.

jason_l

"iank"":ue7q0p0p said:
A good compromise giving valuable legroom while still having a 'normal' sized wheel is to go for a D shaped one.

What seats are you using? There's scope for getting extra room depending the type you fit.

will probably get the fibreglass ones with the wide base on them, think they are from the guy at locost builders but we will probably not use rails but have them fixed in position.

Jason :p

iank

Yeah, Triton's seats are very good. Only way to get more room than those is to make your own binbag+foam ones.