Sticking Caliper

Buggybloke

I'm aware this may be in the wrong slot, but someone in the know may spot it quicker here.....I'm having sticking front brake calipre issues at the moment,..... newish calipres, Goodridge hoses, (-so the insides shouldn't be delaminating, like old rubber type hoses do...), i've had the pistons almost all the way out to check for rust, and they appear to be stainless ones, as there is no rust..... the pads and pistons will push back in ok with a screwdriver, giving lots of pedal travel initially, then after 8-0 normal applications of the brakes, the osf starts 'dragging' and getting v.hot, causing my fuel consumption to go up drastically...... unless i can sort it, it may stop me from attending the show..... any suggestions

regards
Matt

Phaeton

Staff member
Matt,

Sorry you feel that way, but I actually replied to you, not sure if the system glitch deleted the post when Danny had to restore it.

Alan...

Buggybloke

...i'm ok, just a bit frustrated,...I didn't see any replies...... any chance you can re-post your suggestion? :-\

Phaeton

Staff member
Matt,

It was sort of go back to basics advice, are you having any issues with the NSF? Are you brakes split front to back or diagonal?

Alan...

Buggybloke

no problems with any other brakes, I believe they are split front-back..... rear shoes seem to need adjusting rather more than normal on a mini, but they don't bind, nor does the n/s/f.... I've tried the old 'crack the bleed nipple open and shut it quickly' with someone 'standing' on the brake pedal, improved things, slightly, and I did see a couple of rusty looking 'lumps' shoot into the jam jar of brake fluid.... ::) so will have a few more goes at this....

Thanks for your help ;)

Danny

Administrator
hmmmm

maybe you want to bleed the brakes properly...

I use a thing from sealy that does mine brilliantly!

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
If there are no issues with other brakes, then it's either the cylinder in the calliper or the pads in the calliper. If there was air in the pipes it wouldn't come on, not wouldn't come off, if the M/C was foobar'd then it would affect both fronts. Unless you are right & have some nasty stuff in the pipe on that side, might have to replace ALL the brake fluid.

Last year on the way to Newark my fronts seized on, but that was the M/C, had to keep cracking the joint open on top of M/C, so all I did was drive all the way there & back without using the brakes :)

Alan...

Buggybloke

have bled brakes properly... I already know how to suck eggs! :mad:, ther is NO air trapped in the system.... but i think whoever built the thing in the 1st place wasn't overly clean in their preparation of the parts... the buggys only done about 7000miles and it's suspension ball-joints are clonking like there's no tomorrow!, so I have 8 of those to change/tighten up.... nevr was one of my favouritejobs on a mini, ...-still at least I can get to them!
I'd like to try some HARDER shoes in the back, are they available?

Buggybloke

the 'sticking caliper' turned out to be rather over zealous application of the anti-squeal compound and black paint on the new pads I fitted, heating up and melting, effectively sticking the pad to the caliper upon braking. I removed the pads, cleaned the offending paint and compound from the lower edge of the pad, smeared a tiny amount of copper-grease on, and refitted the pads.....problem solved           

..then the 2 bolts holding the steering arm on to the hub swivel snapped, when bumping over a pot-hole, mid-bend.... causing n/s/r wheel to oscillate and send buggy toward lamp posts, trees and other hard'n'hurty objects at 50mph! luckily I recovered the handling, and managed to wrestle it home with no further damage, except to the wallet. -some of these bits are not cheap!

JAMIE B.

Buggybloke":akx8quhb said:
..then the 2 bolts holding the steering arm on to the hub swivel snapped, when bumping over a pot-hole

This is quite concerning and should not have happened, were the steel sleeves in place between the swivel hub and the steering arm ?
If they were I would be questioning the bolt strength and whether the correct ones were fitted.

At least you are OK