Sump Guard

Mini Mad Max

Hi chaps,
Has anyone fitted a sump guard to their buggy? Just wondering if it clears the umbrella gear linkage alright. If anyone has, what make have you used, did you have to modify it to fit, and have you got any pictures?
Thanks,
Max

RichardG

Max,

No sump guard fitted on our buggy. As you know we do a lot of trialing and off road work and have never had a major problem despite doing our best to break it  ;D

We did bend the gear change rod once during a trial but it was off, straightened and back on in 20 minutes.

Richard

wurzell

Always planned to use a good strong Guard on my Car, consider it essential for any "serious" Trials events...

Left it off one weekend, did a minor Motor Club Field Trial, nothing too taxing, but following that event started to have MAJOR Gear selection problems...

After weeks of fruitless investigations, finally had to remove entire Engine & Transmission, completely strip Gearbox down to discover the Rod Selector Outer Barrel/Detent thingy completely split into two pieces!!

You then end up managing to select TWO Gears at once, which means that when you drop the Clutch to pull away, the Engine stalls, as the Gearbox is effectively locked solid!!

Worked out that the weight of the Car and it's passengers landing heavily onto it's unguarded "Shepherds Crook" Gear Selector Rod is enough to break said Gearbox internally!

Unfortunately, you can only replace this part, once busted, by COMPLETLY stripping the Gearbox & Diff unit, ie; Diff AND 1st Motion AND Third Motion Shafts, with ALL the Gears out of the Casing!!

Its a real pain in the backside, you have been warned!!

Therefore personally, I consider a good strong Sump Guard as ESSENTIAL if you use your Buggy off road.......

Mini Mad Max

I do intend to go trialing with the local big boys and show them that it doesn't have to be a V8 4X4 on steroids to take on the tricky terrain!
Wurzell, did you have to modify your sump guard to get it to clear the sheperd's crook linkage?
Thanks,
Max

wurzell

Think my guard was based on a Mini Alloy square fronted design rather than the rounded front Works "Monte Carlo" type, although you could use either..
Cut down & modified the steel mounting brackets to keep the Guard as high up as possible, for maximum ground clearance, but still allow the "Shepherds Crook" to move from side to side to select the Gears. Think I ended up with about 1/2" clearance between the two.
Just space it enough to clear.. 

Mini Mad Max

Magic! Thanks wurzell! I prefer the look of the Dural montecarlo square shaped ones as they look much stronger than the pressed steel sheet ones, pluss the round nosed ones wouldn't fit the buggy as the curved up bit is designed to wrap up just below the front bumper on a mini.
Thanks muchly,
Max

Laner

The guard is made out of 6mm aluminium plate.

16042011056.jpg

16042011055.jpg

16042011054.jpg

16042011053.jpg

Hope this helps.......Rob

Mini Mad Max

That's an odd design! Kind of not sure where all the different flanges attach to ??? However it is good for inspiration!
Thanks!
Max