SVA/IVA and Brake Bias Valves

Will

Any reason why the testers are against brake bias valves being fitted (look at section 09B point 25 of the draft document for IVA)?

Because I'm using the disks off an MGF for the back and disks off a Mini for the front my intention was to fit a bias valve to compensate for the extra braking at the rear but apparently I can't do it unless its none adjustable.

Angel Boy

I don't know if this is the answer or not, but if a brake bias is fitted it could be set to compensate for over braking at the rear, get it through the IVA and then another owner of the vehicle at a later date doesn't know what it has massive bias to the front, set's it to a more neutral setting and next time he pulls upto a junction they are facing the wrong direction.

A vehicle safety thing I guess.

Like I say, just my thoughts, if anyone knows the actual answer, let us know please  ;D

Andy

Will

That was my guess, next owner "What's this? Sh*t my brakes aren't working!!"  Looks like get it through IVA and then fit one :)  Anyone know if it'll fail MOT with one fitted?

jason_l

Will":3jumotrh said:
That was my guess, next owner "What's this? Sh*t my brakes aren't working!!"  Looks like get it through IVA and then fit one :)  Anyone know if it'll fail MOT with one fitted?

Wouldn't think it would fail! a few of my mates cars have them fitted and they have MOT, although it does get MOT'd by a friend  ;)

Phaeton

Staff member
Not read the relevant section but are you sure it has to be a none adjustable one, currently it has to be that it can't be adjusted from the drivers seat & I think locked off. How are you going to know what settings you need without putting it on a brake tester & doing the maths? Normally you do it on a tester then dial the bias in & then finely adjust once on the road.

Alan...

Will

"It must not be possible to manually adjust the braking rates between axels."  The notes go on to say that you can fit dual master cylinders but the adjusting mechs must be welded in place and rendered un-adjustable, and manual hydraulic valves cant be used even if they are rendered un-adjustable.