To servo or not

Baloo

l am having trouble finding room to squeeze the brake servo/master cylinder in the front of my buggy, it's the hieght thats the problem, l dont want anything sticking up in the air
so the question is for those who already have working buggies is, do you need the servo since the vehicle is so light, will just a master cylinder be ok ? what are your thoughts ?

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy,

I wouldn't bother with a servo, I think you may come unstuck on gravel or in the wet. The normal setup is 'interesting' on anything but nice dry tarmac in the event of a quick need of deceleration.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
hmmm yup I agre with alan. The front of the buggy is a little light and is easily locked up!!

Try touching the white lines on a road....lol

kacked myself a couple of times on them white lines!!

Danny

Asbo

ditto....very easy to overcook on wet shiny tarmac and overshoot the intended turn. and thats on local/well travelled roads.  ::)

Baloo

ok thanks for the replys there guys, l have taken your advice and ditched the servo, just been out in the garage and made up the mounting braket for the master cylinder, coming along at a nice pace now

mgfbuggy3004.jpg

mgfbuggy3006.jpg

mgfbuggy3009.jpg

mgfbuggy3012.jpg

hard to see whats going on there but all the pedals are mounted as is the  electric power steering column just the clutch master to mount and l can have a look at the radiator and water pipes next

Mini Mad Max

The buggies have Porsche syndrome, you have to tap the breaks before you stamp on them or Gradually, briskly and firmly apply braking, never stamp on it. Another thing is tyres, Soft compounds would help these situations.
What i've said you've probably heard many times though lol :D
Max

Baloo

hi Max

the situation with the brakes is further complicated by the fact l am biulding this buggy to use on a grass track, l doubt it will ever see tarmac so l dont want brakes that are to sharp ( l think ? )
the grass is always wet and slippy or dry and slippy but never grippy, l almost want poor brakes to stop them locking and me sliding off into the river  :eek: :)

Mini Mad Max

you'll want some grasstrack tyres then. Don't know if this site will help: RoTyres.
My previous post was focussed at freestyles for the guys that said they lock up under sudden heavy breaking, are you haven the engine in the back of your grasstrack buggy? If you are and if the front will be light, you'll have the same problem, but technique overcomes it  :D
Max