Toyota 4E engine conversion....

Roshitha

Hellow everyone...after very successful rally season i thought if had more engine power and a reliable engine it would be more awesome.. so i thought to slot a toyota 4e engine in to my buggy...friends...your comments and suggestions are welcome....

Phaeton

Staff member
Brilliant engine go for it, although I couldn't work out how to get it into the A series subframe without the exhaust manifold fouling on the Freestyle chassis, but you may not suffer the same issue.

Alan...

Roshitha

just before the conversion i had a nice rally season....actually my co-driver was my girl friend...that was her 1st motorsports experience...but she did well....

Roshitha

then started the project...1st i tried to fix it to the mini subframe.but it was bit difficult and i actually needed a new independent suspension set-up for rear.then i designed a tubular engine frame with a customised suspension set-up.but i had to do so many cuts and chopping to buggy's frame to insert the new frame.

engine frame designing...

then the next major part....i had to start the engine on the engine frame to see the engine mount angles and the frame work is sufficient enough to take the engine weight and the vibrations.but had to do the wiring stuffs also.when i bought this engine wire harness was missing.then i bought a Toyota wire harness from a deference model and had to wire the engine and the engine ecu.it took 2days to complete the wiring job to start the engine.

luckily the engine was started at 1st crank and the frame was perfect.no vibration even it was on the floor.

next step was to finalize the frames welding with mig weld.

now its the time to admit the patient to the hospital for the surgery ...but before i strip the buggy i took a final pic of it with this look.because it will be completely change after the conversion...

its time to say good bye to my old engine.but it was such a lucky engine.i went thousands of miles with it.and lots of life events and memories with it.even i found my girl friend because of this buggy. initially she was attracted to buggy then the owner ;)

now the beast inside....

Phaeton

Staff member
Huge respect to you, that is amazing work, I thought you meant 4AGE engine not 4E but any Toyota engine does it for me anyway. Consider putting a new timing belt on before you start your rallying, it'll be easier on the floor than in the car, although it might be too late now :)

Alan...

Roshitha

I actually fully rebuild the engine with new timing belts new oil seals and even changed the oil pump and the water pump.coz I bought a natural aspirate 4efe enginecand all the sensors and ignition coils.then I bought a 4efte turbo engine head, block and turbo manifold.then I rebuild the turbo 4efte and fix the parts from the other non turbo engine.b7t in these pics you cant see the turbo manifold coz I sent it to change the turbo cartridge before puting it.1st I had that idea to fit 4age silver top engine.but that engine waight is too much.so I decided to go for 4efe engine with less waight.4e engine produces 130 bhp for a 850kg starlet gt.but my buggy is only 395kg with mini engine. So I thought this 4efe light waight engine will enough for my buggy.

Phaeton

Staff member
No it makes perfect sense, 130bhp in 400Kg buggy is going to be fun especially when the turbo spools up. Do you have any adjustment on the rear tie bars so you can adjust the rear tracking? Also I can't see from the photo but I assume you have some bars going forward to hold the hub in place?

But great work.

Alan...

Roshitha

Yes..you are correct. ..but hre you cant see the adustment points.but the rear lower arms are adjustable and the tie bar also .here some pics of 8t.but yet to design the stabilizer bar mountings.

It has eccentric bush to change the toe angle

And also and also adjustable tie bar and the camber ajusters with the shock mounts..