Turbo Parts

Buggybloke

I have trawled the web, evilbay etc,..... I am looking for Metro Turbo parts, in order to fit it all to my Blitz. But to no avail.... ssadly everything seems to start off really cheap, and then it all goes a little bit silly, -even for rusty, almost unidentifiable lumps of cobweb encrusted turbo manifold/plenum chambers!
Does anyone out there in 'BuggyLand' have any bits kicking about?

mud68

I have a metro turbo engine in my buggy, 2nd hand parts are a nightmare i.e. bought of fleecebay. What you have got to remember the parts are 20 odd years old and are either worn out or been stood in someones garage for a decade waiting for them to start there 'mini turbo project'.
I'm on my second 2nd hand turbo unit in less than 600 miles. Go for a recon or search 'T3 turbo' on ebay there is usually a firm selling new one's but I'm not sure if they have the right size compressor (ar) fitted.
Fuel pumps are the same as some old Jag's or about £40 new of Ebay (they work) fit a pre filter they jam easy and you can't strip them - found out the expensive way!
Plenum chambers need modding for intercoolers & pressure valve removed/blanked off - try making one?
Carbs get a HIF44 rebuild kit and fit the expansion plate in the bottom at the same time - seems to more of these than turbo's on Ebay. (might have a spare in the garage?).
The engine is great when it's working, 2nd / 3rd gear acceleration is amazing, if you are ever near Tewkesbury (M5 J9) give me a shout and I will take you out in it - to give you some inspiration to get on with yours.

Buggybloke

Thanks 'mud',
Thanks for the info, and offer of a ride in your buggy, I'll have to see about that ... as I'm in Southampton, a bit of a drive, methinks!....I know a little about how the turbo system fits together, but you mention an 'expansion plate', I've not heard of this before.... what is it? and whereabouts does it fit?

regards,

Matt

mud68

The turbo carbs suffer from fuel evaperation because the carb sits over the top of the turbo unit. You unscrew the base plate of the carb, fit the expansion piece in (adds about another 15mm) so more fuel sits in the float chamber area. There should also be a plate that fits in between the turbo and the carb to deflect the heat.
Don't know how close your exhaust is the your body work on the Blitz, but on the Freestyle you have to cut the rear (strut brace) bar out and make another because the turbo is in the way, it sits about 3-4 inches further out than the normal manifold / exhaust system.
If need any more info let me know.
Shaun

Danny

Administrator
That strut brace is not important.... its only there for the jigging stage and not structural

Danny