Type 3 master cylinder - non remote reservoir found!!

JAMIE B.

Just wandering through the scrap yard today when I stumbled across a reservoir that fits the tandem mini type 3 master cylinder - what a stroke of luck ! Pure fluke

Its origins are Fiat, can't remember if it was a panda or an uno, I'll have to go back and check for more specifics.

Any way, as with all things car, nothing is straightforward !

The good news is this reservoir is a perfect fit for the type 3 master cylinder.

The bad news is that Daves master cylinder holes in the new style pedal box have to be rotated clockwise about 5 minutes so the reservoir sits upright.

Depending on what clutch master you are using it may/may not foul with the brake reservoir, there are two ways round this.
You can either rotate the clutch master anticlockwise 5 minutes or you can file out the two large holes the cylinders go through and move the two cylinders further apart. If you are using a clutch master with a remote reservoir then I dont forsee any problem apart from a place high enough to mount the reservoir. You will also need to make a couple of notches in the steering column bracket to clear the brake pipe outlets (unless your pedal box is in a different place from mine).

If there are any issues bleeding this set up, they can be overcome by bleeding the brakes with the front of the car jacked up so the master cylinder goes past the level.

Also there is lots of clearance with the bonnet, even with the switched cap.

If your reading this Dave, it may be worth a modification in the pedalbox mounting plate !

Regards Jamie

brakeandclutch.jpg

brakeandclutch2.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
That's a bit good that is, could do with knowing exactly which Fiat it is. Hopefully the Metro M/C I'm going to use is the same.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
Hmm that looks perfect,

I want one!!

I dont fancy paying £11 for the delivery of the whole unit though.

Danny

JAMIE B.

Went back to the scrappys today, it came off a M reg Fiat Panda 1 Litre

The best bit is you don't even need any tools - just pull !

Happy Hunting !!

JAMIE B.

"Danny"":32l51mlz said:
was there another in the scrappy??

Danny

No sorry even these seem to be getting rare, might be worth seeing if Fiat do the reservoir on its own, it might be cheap but I wouldn't hold my breath !!

JAMIE B.

Another point in case anyones interested in staying romote, the push fit unions on a punto look like they will also fit on a type 3 master cylinder, they come off the master cylinder at about 80 degrees, ready made bends for pennies !

Phaeton

Staff member
Only concern I would have using the Fiat hoses, would be to prove they were to the correct specification. They obviously must be; but how do you provide proof for VOSA.

Alan...

esdebe

I never had to prove my hoses... You can always say that you are using Silicon fluid and then the type of hose doesn't matter anyway.

I'm sure that if you used ones from a donor you coudl just say they came of the donor....

JAMIE B.

Got a Fait cinq reservoir today to try it out, it does fit the master cylinder but fouls up with the bonnet in a big way, so its still looking like Panda if you dont want remote hassles

Danny

Administrator
Ok I tried 2 scrappys this weekend and no luck

Ahhhhh

I so like the idea of the panda resevoir I cant even find anywhere on tinternet!

The search continues

Danny

esdebe

I saw that Panda one, which is why I then found the other models as that Panda one doesn't look like the one that Jamie was using, where as the ones of other fiats did... But then I was basing all that on the picys....

I'm of to the scrap yard today to see what I can find, if I find one the same as Jamies I'll get it (or as many as I can find) and I'll post back here to let you all know...

esdebe

Ok, so i went to the scrap yard and got two different ones, one from a Punto, and one from a Ford Granada.

The Ford one fits with no problems apart from the cap on the clutch is in the way, so if you use a clutch with a remote or an extension resoviour then this will work.

The punto one looks like Jamie's, so I'm not sure if it is the same as his. This one the plasic ducts are smaller than the mini ones or the ford ones, so they don't seal in the mini rubbers. I did however think this would be the case at the time so I took the rubbers that it used. these are too small to use as intended however if they are turned upside down they work fine and seal a treat.

One thing I did in addition is put a cable time arround the MC and then the narrow part of the resoviour to pull it in tight (better safe than sorry)

Simon

Danny

Administrator
which scrappy did you go too?

So are going to use the panda one? :D

I put a post on the fiat forum and no has replied

Danny

esdebe

One in Northampton ..

As for the part, it was from a Punto, but what I can see by looking at ones from other Fiat cars they have standardised on the parts... If this is the case then the size of the connections are a lot smaller. so make sure you get the rubbers from the MC when you get one. You will however find they seal better if you then use them upside down...

Older fiats seemed to uses all sorts of different shapes / configs the ebay Panda one is an example of this, as this is different to the one Jamie posted. The "hour glass" shape of the one Jamie found and the one I took from a Punto today make it posible to fit side byside with a standard girling (or similar) clutch MC. To fit it you need to drill two new mounting hole for the brake MC as it needs to be fit with the ports on top!!!.

If I hadn't managed to get this Punto one, then the Ford Granada then I would use the ford Granada one instead, but I'd twist the Clutch mc about 5 degrees to the right, and twist the Brake one an additional 5 degrees to the Left.

Danny, if want to try the ford one let me know as I'ts just sitting in the garage....

Simon