VIN Etching

Keyz

Hi all,

I've just had the VIN through for my Freestyle today and in the letter it states it needs to be attached by a dealer/garage and requires the letter be signed by them.
I was kinda hoping I could do this myself.

Do you guys have any experience of this and any idea who I would ask to get this done?

I've had a quick Google but all I can find are DIY kits.

Thanks
Rick

Phaeton

Staff member
You don't need anyone else to do it, or at least I never have, you can either stamp it direct into the chassis or stamp it onto a piece of metal & weld it to the chassis. I think the rules have recently changed & it needs to be in a spot that is easily visible to the IVA tester

From page 4

9. The VIN number must consist of 17 digits with the information shown in a single line (except for mass-produced vehicles where the use of two lines is permissible) (see Note 7).
7. The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other similar structure, which is not easily removable, on the right hand side of the vehicle when viewed from the rear (see Notes 6, 8, 9 & 12).

Keyz

Yep, thanks for this.
That's how I read the IVA manual too.

The issue is more to do with registering the vehicle, assuming it passes the IVA.

The letter I got reads:

Screenshot 2024-05-08 121253.png
Thanks,
Rick

Phaeton

Staff member
That's because they no longer inspect the cars before they register them & they don't beleive their own VOSA inspectors, so all you need to do is get your local MOT station or garage to sign it for you

Keyz

Interesting, fair enough, thanks for this!

On a related note, what should be on the manufacturer's plate?
TH Engineering?
I bought it from Dave Smart so should it be 'Funbuggies'?

Thanks,
Rick

Phaeton

Staff member
This was one I had done, but you need to check the bible to make sure it's still valid

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 20.16.45.png

Keyz

I just mean do you know what the manufacturer name should be? Presumably the Freestyle is registered with the DVSA against a certain manufacturer?

Edit: I have 4 options from what I'm reading:
TH Engineering
ABS
Funbuggies
Muddy Buggies

... or does it even matter which?

Thanks!
Rick

Last edited:

Phaeton

Staff member
TBH they don't give a monkeys what you call it, convention would be to call it an ABS or a Funbuggy but you could call it a Rickeyz Freestyle if you wanted.

250buggys

Stamping the tube or box is next to impossible and even harder to make it look good with even spacing and straight.

Order a stamped VIN on ally plate from below and JB Weld it onto the box section to look like a continuous seam weld then paint it in hammerite. Then take a photo of it and when you MOT your daily tell the garage that you are building a kit car, show them the photo and letter and they should stamp it with their stamp.

The other plate is a manufacturers plate which needs to be in a box, you can rivet this on.

A few places offer stamping, try here.