Water from the overflow

RichardG

Had the engine running over the weekend, needs a little tweaking but everything seems OK other than a steady dribble of water from the overflow pipe at the radiator cap.

Any ideas ?

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
How full was the radiator? you're supposed to be able to see the tops of the fins I thnk, so I suspect you over filled it. I've now put an expansion bottle into my system, I started by just putting a bottle on the end of the pipe you're talking about, it pushed water out & then as it cooled pulled it back in. Was going to leave it like this, but as I then put a heater matrix in I've put a proper tank on it from a Rover 100 (I think)

Alan...

esdebe

also sounds like the radiator cap isn't sealing properly, what pressure rateing is it. Even if you fill up too much 2 mins shouldn't e enought to increase the pressure enought to open the cap.

If you take the cap off after the 2 mins do you feal pressure under it?

Simon

Hoagy

if you fit an expansion tank you need to fit the rad cap with a rubber seal on it or it will not draw water back in as it cools took me a bit to work this one out, these were fitted to some 1275 minis and are available from mini spares part number grc207 at £5.36 inc vat

RichardG

Thanks - I filled the rad to the top so I guess it was just throwing out the excess coolant. Will check it again at the weekend.

Richard