Wheel magnet for acewell speedo.

nw208

How and where have you guys fitted the magnet to your front wheels.

I was thinking of using epoxy resin / araldite.

Any suggestions/photos would be appreciated.

p.s. anyone else completely fed up with rushing to complete the sva before the iva?

Angel Boy

nw208":d8sc12b1 said:
How and where have you guys fitted the magnet to your front wheels.

I was thinking of using epoxy resin / araldite.

Any suggestions/photos would be appreciated.

p.s. anyone else completely fed up with rushing to complete the sva before the iva?
As a thought, is it not easier to mount this on the driveshafts at the rear or is the cable not long enough?  As you can guess I haven't fitted one, you have just got me thinking.  If not, how about mounting it in the centre bit of the front wheel where the driveshaft would have gone and mounting the sensor on the hub itself.

Andy

ps ditto here, thought about, but after having the buggy for over a month and menot being able to touch it, I soon gave up on the idea  ;D

nw208

I never thought of that, I know it won't reach the rear driveshaft, and I can't picture the front assembly from memory ( I'm not in front of the buggy right now) I will have a look later.

Phaeton

Staff member
Various places have been tried, I mounted the pick-up on the mudguard mounting, the flat curved bit, the magnet was stick to the wheel, that is until if flew past my ear at around 60mph. Dave put his magnet on the UJ pot & made a bracket to hold the pick-up. You can extend the wires no problem & put it on the rear if you want, others have modified the rear drums to accept them. Can't remember where Simin has put his.

However there seems to be issues with using the magnet & pick-up it doesn't seem to be very reliable, we all experienced problems with inconsistent readings. Mine would be fine unless between 25 & 30 mph & it would suddenly double in speed.

Simon found a gearbox adapter & since then has found an in-line unit which fits onto the speedo cable RALLYNUTS although the website seems down at the moment.

Alan...

biddleboy

yes guys listen to alan he put me onto rallynuts for one of these called teretrip and thay are straight to fit most peaple use acewell with these but i got a trail vaper speedo and it work ok with that

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry just had another thought, for the SVA man to test the speedo it has to be on the driven wheels, if you put it on the front wheel it can't be tested. I put my magnet on the front with my first buggy, at testing time he said he'd seen it working in the yard, asked me how I'd calibrated it, so told him by sat nav & he passed it. Not sure if all testers would do the same, they could either refuse to test or fail.

Just another one, if you have a puncture & change the wheel, you'll not have a speedo again.

Alan...

Angel Boy

Phaeton":1pdvx6jx said:
Simon found a gearbox adapter & since then has found an in-line unit which fits onto the speedo cable RALLYNUTS

Oooo, that looks the best solution if you have the pennies for it.  Cheap as chips solution would be to extend the wire and secure the magnet on the rear axle somewhere I guess taking onboard Alan's comments about speedo testing etc.

Andy

jason_l

You can buy a new adapter from acewell can't you???? I have bought an extra adaptor from them, think it was an S2 type, takes the standard speedo cable and fixes to the end of it, then it converts the rotating motion into a electronic typr that the speedo unit can read.

The one i have fits the square cable part but needs changing to stay in place, although that doesn't matter now as i won't be using the mini speedo cable anymore!

Jason :p

Smart1275GT

I fitted an Acewell on my Smart and the speedo magnet mounted on a bracket on the driveshaft output CV pot. Worked a treat. Not sure about lasting very long off-road though?

Buggybloke

Phaeton":3gih5ktf said:
Sorry just had another thought, for the SVA man to test the speedo it has to be on the driven wheels, if you put it on the front wheel it can't be tested. I put my magnet on the front with my first buggy, at testing time he said he'd seen it working in the yard, asked me how I'd calibrated it, so told him by sat nav & he passed it. Not sure if all testers would do the same, they could either refuse to test or fail.

Just another one, if you have a puncture & change the wheel, you'll not have a speedo again.

Alan...
I know it's an older post, but I've just read this, and I'm sure it can't be right, as Hillman Imp speedos are driven of the n/s/f wheel, which is not drivn....

Phaeton

Staff member
Buggybloke":35nnbt3k said:
Phaeton":35nnbt3k said:

Alan...
I know it's an older post, but I've just read this, and I'm sure it can't be right, as Hillman Imp speedos are driven of the n/s/f wheel, which is not drivn....
The IVA wasn't around when the Imp was in production and we weren't part of the EU who make stupid protectionism rules, times change.

Alan...