Baloo's Blitz

Baloo

sure you can have all my old nuts and bolts Andy
and the chap with the better than new pilot was Simon
and it really was better than brand new, well when he arrived anyway :eek:
twas a bit bent when he left if l remember correctly

CAW

Thats the chap Drive it like you stole it Simon......... ;) :D . lol, getting a shipping order from you now Andy.. O0

cheers

andy

Baloo

a little bit of progress has been made, l stripped the mgf gearbox after l cleaned it up and installed the LSD in it, was even able to select the gears when l got it back together :eek:

blitzpaintedframe031Medium.jpg

gearbox006Medium.jpg

blitz5002Medium.jpg

blitz5004Medium.jpg

blitz5006Medium.jpg

blitz5007Medium.jpg

blitz5008Medium.jpg

Baloo

then l dropped the engine and box back in the frame so as l can sort out the rad and the fuel tank locations,

blitz5011Medium.jpg

blitz5016Medium.jpg

blitz5018Medium.jpg

blitz5020Medium.jpg

blitz5021Medium.jpg

blitz5022Medium.jpg

blitz5023Medium.jpg

blitz5025Medium.jpg

blitz5027Medium.jpg

blitz5028Medium.jpg

blitz5029Medium-Copy.jpg

blitz5030Medium.jpg

offroad 68

Is this ment to be a 2 seater? Must be getting soft in my old age because the idea of paint and cleaning up the engine/box is starting to appeal to me :eek:

Baloo

offroad 68":3623vvt0 said:
Is this ment to be a 2 seater? Must be getting soft in my old age because the idea of paint and cleaning up the engine/box is starting to appeal to me :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: are you ok, have you had a bump on the head or something ??

yes suposed to be a 2 seater but as it was based on a mini its a bit narrow so mine is a single seater with room for my lunch box ;D

and l only just found out they do a turbo version of this engine >:D

ChaosMS

Baloo, Looking smart !! - I have a question regarding the paints it looks like your spraying them so what paints are you using for the chassis - I still need to undercoat and topcoat - well lets just say FINISH mine :( but you seem to have a really good finish with whatever undercoat / topcoat you went for is it a pretty tough paint 2 pack or something??

Cheers

Rich

CAW

Hi Andy,

What the hell have you used to clean the ali up, well worth the effort :eek: with that progress you must be slack at work mate.

Not much chance of getting Alan's Slacker Award at this rate :D

Andy

Baloo

CAW":2gqngmsd said:
Hi Andy,

What the hell have you used to clean the ali up, well worth the effort :eek: with that progress you must be slack at work mate.

Not much chance of getting Alan's Slacker Award at this rate :D

Andy

elbowgrease.jpg

Baloo

ChaosMS":3twq637b said:
Baloo, Looking smart !! - I have a question regarding the paints it looks like your spraying them so what paints are you using for the chassis - I still need to undercoat and topcoat - well lets just say FINISH mine :( but you seem to have a really good finish with whatever undercoat / topcoat you went for is it a pretty tough paint 2 pack or something??

Cheers

Rich

hi Rich

well for once the pics are not doing the paint justice, in the flesh its very shiney indeed
blitzpaintedframe003Medium.jpg

the key as with all things in life is preperation, squirting the the paint on is the quick easy bit
l had the frame shot blasted which gives a nice clean yet scuffed finish which is ideal for the paint to adhere to,
l just used red oxide as a primer first, l like this as you can get several coats on one after the other to biuld up the thickness so as you have plenty of paint on there for flatting any imperfections out
top coat is straight onto the red oxide and as you say is 2 pack paint, it makes it real easy to get a good finish, drys quick so less chance to get bits settle in it and very hard wearing, just need an air fed mask ideally as it contains isocynates, not sure l spelt that right lol

Andy

offroad 68

There is a pilot under there somewhere ;D
Baloo wrote "and l only just found out they do a turbo version of this engine >:D" So is it getting a turbo version?

Baloo

offroad 68":2gb0dkn9 said:
There is a pilot under there somewhere ;D
Baloo wrote "and l only just found out they do a turbo version of this engine >:D" So is it getting a turbo version?

from looking at the specs it dosent appear to be worth it, they are only 160 bhp and add a lot of complication and even more cost since l am being told it will require a stand alone ecu, you can get 160 bhp from the vvc engine l have already with out spending more money

Baloo

few more pics, some of the suspension components are back from the blasters, l do like painting stuff that has been blasted lol
the bits that were grey have been repainted black and l have new BLACK tie rod bushes ::)

brakes003Medium.jpg

paintedbits007Medium.jpg

paintedbits004Medium.jpg

paintedbits013Medium.jpg

the brake discs have had a ride on the lathe and been cleaned up

brakes001Medium.jpg

and l have mounted the radiator in a different spot to where l had planned, good job l painted the frame and not powdercoated as l had to grind it back to bare metal to weld the tabs on, think l will be repainting the whole frame again when l have finished, good job l like painting ;D

paintedbits020Medium.jpg

paintedbits021Medium.jpg

paintedbits023Medium.jpg

paintedbits022Medium.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
Brilliant progress Andy, I managed nothing this weekend, my own fault I sold the wife's car without telling her, then of course we had to go get another ;D

Was talking to somebody on Saturday who came to take the front hubs off the MGF & he said all he was going to do to get Mini wheels on there was just redrill them to the new PCD. Not sure it's something I could either do or have the equipment to do it, but a man of your capabilities creep creep may have the equipment.

Alan...

Baloo

hi Alan

thats spooky that is :eek: l was working out how to do it last night, re drilling is easy its where thats the question,
flanges001Medium.jpg

since the mini flange is drilled at 101mm approx and the mgf is 95.25mm drilling the hub will end up with one set of holes sitting slightly across the original holes unless l rotate the flange slightly but then the cut out on the back for the bolt head is out as well, l can mill a new one in but l am not sure about balance, was thinking of welding the orginal holes up and machining flush and then drilling new holes as if it was a new flange

flanges004Medium.jpg

and an mgf flange

flanges002Medium.jpg

and funnily enough l just bought a spare pair of mini flanges off ebay to practice on so no problem doing a spare set when l have decided how

Andy

CAW

Hi Andy,

Great progress by the way 8) , we used to use 1/2 " copper busbar for pads when filling holes in when I was a lad lol, so a bit of flattened copper pipe should work for holes that small x 4 off.

Go for it

Andy