Danny's K Series Conversion Project Discussion Thread

Phaeton

Staff member
Your call I did including the ignition lock, but it's all up to you, I laid all the MGF worrying in the buggy & then just cut out what I didn't need. But you can get away with only running about 4 wires from back to the front.

Alan

Danny

Administrator
Right that 4 wire idea seems like the way forward. .. I dont really want to go stripping out all my new wiring....

Phaeton

Staff member
Here's your wiring diagrams

http://www.mgfcar.de/schedules/index.htm

Here's the guy you need to send your ECU to if you want to disable the key fob/alarm otherwise there is a lot of extra wiring you will need.

http://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/

If you go that route, all that needs to go to the front is a wire for the starter, a wire to give the ECU 12V on turn of the key, tacho feed, ignition light feed, rad fan feed (assuming this is coming forward), oil warning, I would/do have a warning on my expansion bottle which will need a wire, okay 6 not 4 but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
If you're after more power then don't fit a 120bhp engine, they cannot be tuned, remember this is a Honda engine that has been red penned by Rover, there are no gains to be made out of it. Might as well start with a more bhp engine, here's one with 135bhp http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-MG-T...0959308?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43cd8699cc or the Holy Grail of them a 160bhp http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-TF-SPO...5234324?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2ed530b394 and they are both TF's so they have sprung suspension.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
I think 120 will be enough... its never going to be as quick as my bike.... when this engine goes bang I will swap it for a bigger on:)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

slackbladder

Sorry not got a chassis.
Have got a complete running Moon and Star 260cc road legal buggy registered not taxed or MOTd plus all the 1275 Auto mini metro bits to convert.
This is a frustrated project abandoned due to health reasons. Also have 6 MG wheels with good tyres plus drive shafts brakes etc all must go.
Engine is in a test frame and can be run has all the new instruments fitted was a rebuilt engine from a Metro when purchased.
located in leicestershire if you want a coffee.
John

Phaeton

Staff member
Before you start stripping the wring out, I would get your ECU sorted with Paul & make sure that once put back in the car starts & runs, that way you know that's not the problem when you can't start it after you've done the wiring in the buggy :)

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
What I think he meant was 120 will be enough,,,,,,,,,, to start with.

But there are some 160's out there which are a direct swap (ECU change as well) so it's probably not worth trying to tune a 120, just by the other engine.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
Lol I dont think this will be my only conversion this year[WINKING FACE]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Phaeton

Staff member
Don't see the problem? He offers a unique service in the UK, which will save you a boat load of heartache when it comes to the wiring & in operation. You won't get out of bed for that money?

You can get it cheaper if you're a member of the Rover/MG forum but not sure how much cheaper

Alan

''Left a Bit''

Seems reasonable to be honest, but it's just one of the reasons as soon as we switched away from carbs we bought a standalone ECU and have just swapped it between setups, big investment up front but it saves plenty in the long run.

Mini Mad Max

Hey Danny!
I found a vvc manifold the other day in the scrappy, and figured i'd get it as i barely ever see them on the many MGFs I see in scrap yards. If you were interested in a bolt on power mod, they are better than the plastic manifold that comes on the standard engines! Would you be interested in mine before it goes on ebay?
Max