Danny's K Series Conversion Project

Danny

Administrator
Monaco is mental.... aventador doing burn outs in the tunnel...m

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
Right back on the buggy today and I fitted the side boxes :)

I still need to finish the lids off but have got fed up of moving the boxes about...

b3b0587f8e0fb0897ab4bbcfefba33bb.jpg

130973666993c1a1b66b3be6d8b471ce.jpg

Someone was meant to come round and help with the cam belt today but they were a no show so I am going to tackle that tomorrow on my own..... can't be that hard

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
Today's aim was to get the cambelt done...

I have meant to have 2 people come round and help me or at least show me but they both let me down so decided to watch tonnes of shit youtube videos and have a go myself

The first hurdle was getting out of bed...

The next hurdle was cracking the crank pull nut but somehow I manages it and get all the timing marks lined up which is a miracle.

The next thing was to get the engine mount off so I can get the belt in....

Well that was the first hurdle and it was a bitch... the bar was in the way so I hade to undo 4 big bolts from the block then to from the rubber mount and slide the lot out...

32ef0b2d317bf80ad4c6cc41f0438627.jpg

46e46fa5aa8a1a0549e6819d6bffa5bc.jpg

Then it was a case of locking the cams and taking the eater pump off which was also a massive fiddle...

The belt went on easy and tensioning it up was a fiddle but I think I got it ok :)

Getting the water pump back on took e hours as I manages to drop a bolt 4 times in a really awkward place....

All back together just about and quick fire up and she runs :)

I pushed her back in the garage and then went out on my bike as I need to get 500 miles on her by Saturday. ..

Tomorrow I am doing another 160 miles and then doing more on the buggy in the evening....

Need to get here finished by Tuesday really as I am away Wednesday

Danny

Administrator
Yesterday I did a few hours... go all the engine back together and started up fine... spent about 2 hours getting air locks out which I think I have done now...

Today I am finishing my boxes off and fitting them....

Danny

Administrator
Well today was a slow start as I had to service the bike first....

Eventually got to the buggy and decided I wanted to get the boxes finished....

Got the hinges on and clever use of a bike inner tube I think I have made the hinges waterproof....

5a8ca728ec286cc925dbff102148ef90.jpg

b58a0434d8dcf0a698463695057c62db.jpg

The catches were fun... had to grind the bolts down to get the lid to shut...

I then decided to try fix the weeping brake line that has not stopped since the conversion... changed the copper washers and torqued her up... we shall wait and see....

The next challenge is to get my fat rear tyres under some arches....

Easier said than done...

I fiddled a bout a bit and have established that I really need to do the wheel alignment so that I have a better idea where the arches need to go....

I am on a bikesafe course tomorrow so hopefully that won't take long nd I can get bak in the garage and get the wheels tracked and then monday get the wheel arches sussed...

Got a busy week ahead a usual....

Danny

Administrator
Today I was at the garage for 9 and got started with the tracking... it was doing my head in as both the adjustment does toe and camber si had to adjust both..

Well it was a pain... I decided to walk up the road and see my mate who has a garage and robbed his dinosaur tracking gauges....

So I did the tracking and got the camber near and decided to stand back and admire my work.... yeah that is when it dawned on me that although the wheels are now parralel they were not following the front wheels.... bugger....

I then started to think....

Got my poles and bits of fishing line and a bit of tinkering and a combination of the gauges it all came together...

663490597c9698ab5c3e114bf2f0c652.jpg

7e18b0fb4d0cc89639a9733009b8c01a.jpg

63a7bd01b59776431dddea7b95a9a8df.jpg

So quite happy with that...

Then I was faced with the challenge of the damn wheel arches...

A bit of tinkering and I have a plan... it's not the greatest but it will do till I can think of something else... adjusting the brackets and making a few plates... they should be finished tomorrow :)

Got jane dropping past tomorrow to help bleed the brakes then I can start getting the panniers fitted and get the car washed a d tidied up... hopefully it all runs and works....

Danny

Administrator
Got there early today and was battling with the weather... one minute it's sunny and hot next it was snowing and everything in between.....

Wheel arch brackets made and are now in paint....

The brakes are bled... at last have a pedal....

The rear of the car is in paint but once again the paint is soft... I may have to resort to stripping it down to bare metal at some point... ffs

Tomorrow I will tidy up the painted parts and get wheel arches fitted... I have the digidash to setup then I think I can take her for a spin... have no idea how it's going to drive...

Danny

Administrator
Today was a slow start..

Finished painting a few bits and decided to get the dash odo working which meant plugging laptop in and stuff...

Got the buggy running then it died....

Figured it had run of fuel and 45 min round trip a tonne of jerry cans and the damn thing won't start....

Dodge fuse in the holder... hopefully fixed now...

558d24b2a59404543c2a8a9d06a662d1.jpg

Took her for a blast....

ee620a68fb3c6bc5501636654ec78028.jpg

Front shockers were bouncing and the ride was pants... then alan pointed out my tyres pressures may be high. ... 45psi was a bit hard for the fronts....lol

Tomorrow I am just finishing off the panels and then it's a case of cleaning and final checks ready for Saturday. ...

Front number plate need fitting better as well...

Fingers crossed

Danny

Administrator
Got to the car today and just fitted panels and checked things like bolts done up and generally just made sure she is good to go...

Started cleaning her up and tomorrow I will carry on for a couple.of hours and get her loaded... panning on leaving around 9am on Saturday and just trundle up :)

Danny

Administrator
Did not get to the car till 1600 so washed a bit and loaded the boxes up...

Just remembered I need to get some anti freeze in first thing in the morning then heading up...

Hoping for a great show

Danny

Administrator
Well I picked up some pedals today to try and make a better job of them and hopefully get a better pedal.... once I do this... then I will look at getting some better calipers... that should help make the buggy a little better at slowing down

Danny

Administrator
So last week was a bit of a random week just catching up with some work and I decided I needed to have a sort out of the two garages and get some bits and bobs on ebay to get some extra money in....

I also went to watford to pick up a 4 wheel alignment laser tracking thing which was a bargain and hopefully sees me through...

So the garages are now tidy and this week I am going to be taking the buggy to my friends garage where we Re going to look at the brakes and see what figures we are getting...

That should then help me decide what to do about Wales. .. not sure I want to go tampering about before the Wales trip so the decision will be decided next week :)

Danny

Administrator
1c7cf85075f610824e5bf36f90161d3e.jpg

3dba9d85ddba7e110ea0ec063cbff212.jpg

Got lots of videos to shoot and edit as well this week so I am also for once quite busy

Danny

Administrator
Boilerman":9jef876v said:
Danny, what make and name are your wheel arches and if you can remember, where did you source them from ? Thanks

I have know idea.... they are about 15 years old :-\

Danny

Administrator
I have done nothing on my buggy in ages... did the wheel alignment on my Mates truck today though....

Got goodwood next week so the week after I am going to do the wheel alignment and then get her mot ready for Wales and hope that everything is all good

Danny

Administrator
Right mot booked for today (tuesday) going to do my wheel alignment as well today seeing as I have all the gear for that now...

Danny

Administrator
Did the wheel alignment today and teh settings are not right still... I would say worst than when I did it for stoneleigh...

I am going to set it up like this next week....

Front
Castor +3.8°
Camber -0.1°
Toe 0.2mm out

Rear
Camber -1.8°
Toe 1.2mm IN each side

These are from a lotus elise S1 so I reckon that would be about right.....