Danny's K Series Conversion Project

Danny

Administrator
Tomorrow I am messing about with wheel alignment and also going to look at getting my fuel tank fixed and sender working :lets hope

Danny

Administrator
So today I was up early and headed to my mates workshop so I could use the ramp to do the wheel alignment and after a few phone calls to alan I think it is set up ok...

Went through a few roundabouts and struggled to get the arse out... the front still washed out when trying hard but that is to be expected to be honest...

I also fixed the fuel gauge as well which is damn handy.... twisting the float 90 degrees solved the issue... the only issue is that it does not display 100% when full now but i can live with that :D

I also re bled the brakes today and I think I have got out most of the air now.... at last I have a pedal :D

Only have a few jobs now to do on the buggy but I think I am mostly ready for wales :D

Danny

Administrator
This year I have been fairly prepared for most of the events...

Today is just over a week before Wales and I decided that seeing as it was sunny I would take the buggy to get fueled up and ready...

Went the long way to the petrol station and had some fun through the bends....

Get to one roundabout away from the petrol and the fan belt squeels. .. ooh ok that's no biggy I will tighten that up later....

I fuel up and take a look at the belt and it is loose...

Decided to head to the motor factors and buy a new belt and cut the old one off as phaeton has said in the past that they can wipe the cambelt out as well...

I get home and take a look and the the bolt holding the adjuster snapped in the block...

I phone alan and pretty much wept as it looked like it was going to be a pig....

f833e787a20f46364d7a813d1a66670a.jpg

4 hours later and it is fixed... hole re drilled and tapped and a better bracket made up...

Also while doing this I found that a few other bolts had been working their way loose so tightened them up as well.

Tomorrow I am back in the garage to find out why my brake lights have given up and to tweak my speedo as it displays way way way too much crap...

Also going to throw the spanner over some.of the major components

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
It has been a while since u have posted but figured I would update what I have been doing...

Brake lights failed in Wales and so have found that the online switch is knackered so I am just going back to the old fashioned way....

Bought new front shocks which I will fit in Feb and I need to replace the rear shocks but they are quite expensive for the tf so will be hanging on a bit....

Got a small water leak at the front somewhere as well... but other than that not got much else to do for Stoneleigh...

I am about to repaint my garage at my house as well as I want to get the floor sorted ready for another bike and also getting some solar panels fitted to run some trickle charges etc

Danny

Administrator
Spent today repainting my garage walls and tomorrow will be giving them another coat then hopefully in the afternoon I can get the floor painted then get that garage sorted :)

Got soooo many spare parts that I need to get rid of as well... how many rear hubs for a freestyle do I need?

Danny

Administrator
Well I appear to not be doing much but I have been quite busy and well today I finally got the V5 back with the engine change finalised... took 3 months of form filling but web are all good now :D

Next week all I need to do is oil and filter change and fit brake light switch :D then I am ready for stoneleigh...

I am touring down to monaco and the friday before stoneliegh I arrive back from monaco... so that could be fun :D

Danny

Administrator
It has been a while since I have been up to my garage and since losing to electric to it I have had even less motivation to go... However stoneleigh is coming up quick and I have a few jobs I need to get done.

I spent the entire day trying to find the buggy... it was hidden under a tonne of parts and then when I did find it I needed to try and make space for me to be able to do the work!!

So the jobs on the list are...

Brake light switch fitting
Oil change
Plugs and leads
water leak
and I think I have a brake line weeping as well
Shock absorbers

The front shock absorbers have worn through so I am replacing them and Alan mentioned last year that it looked like my rear ones were on the way out as well... I am going to try and get another year out of the rear ones as they are mega bucks!!!

The plan is tomorrow to get the brake lights working and fix the leaks....

Then all that is left is the absorbers and the oil change :D I think I am going to change the fuel filter as well :D

Danny

Administrator
Got up for about 10 and waddled up to the garage...

First job was brake light switch which was fiddly and after making a bracket and trying to get my hands in the right places the switch is in and wired.... and it worked...

ea97f72ac095707d39e1fd2f1d88d6ef.jpg

Then was the task of the new shocks... I have changed shocks on the freestyle about 10 times now so it is getting easier....

b2882d38db49d9c8c68b0150aee41cf1.jpg

Does not appear to have any brake fluid leaks... I know... miracle...

I then figured I would see if she would start.... took a bit of turning over and she fired into life... then I spotted fuel pis sing out the fuel hose... turned her off and then she would not start again...

About an hour of fiddling and I was left stumped... then gave this box a jiggle...

182e99c39bccd8758f546cd9313c7899.jpg

The fuel pump whirred and then died... then nothing again...

I have now ordered a new one of those boxes and should be here for the weekend.

I then decided to pack up and go fly the drone. ...

52cff323ce8f431e9571b861b39bf821.jpg

I am away now till Sunday so that will be the next day I look at the buggy

Danny

Administrator
4184d464c41bf4c947bcb8794e044f13.jpg

These arrived today....hopefully it solves my starting issues

Danny

Administrator
A late start to the day but still a start... The first thing to do was to fire up the buggy with my new ywb boxes.... yeah that didnt go well... could not even get the engine to turn over...

After lots of jigglying and head scratching I was puzzled and so a quick call to Alan (phaeton) as he has a mechanical mind like no other and could get a buggy started with a string and a paperclip and has a great way of making you understand stuff...

Well the suggestion was to throw some easy start in the inlet and see if she would fire... errr nope... half a can later and I am now looking at the price of low loaders to yorkshire...

Decided that it was a loose connection somewhere and could not put my finger on it so decided to put it all back together again (after changing every fuse) and the damn thing fired into life... hmmmmm I then spot an earth that tightens up when the panels get tightened up :D

The buggy lives!!!!

Decided to do an oil change and and I also changed the fuel filter as I thought that would be blocked :D

Tomorrow I am out reviewing bikes for the afternoon but if I get a chance then all I need to do is check that oil levels are good and then fire her up and check for water leaks as it looks like my rad has a leak from the temperature sender but have now tightened that up...

Other than a flat tyre I am good to go :D

A lot of cleaning and a lot of polishing needed but I am quite happy

Danny

Administrator
Today is a good day... memory foam arrived to make a new seat :D wales should feel a bit better this year

Danny

Administrator
84ad8137b62258239e9d92d05130e437.jpg
covered it in a few bin bags this time to try and keep the seat drier when it rains

Danny

Administrator
A very slow start for me today... got to the garage for midday and bumped into someone that owns a large chunk of land near the garage so we had a long chat and well lets just say it may all pan out ok...

So today was all about getting the buggy run up and checking for leaks... ok when I say checking I mean finding as there will always be something leaking and there still seems to be water leaving the buggy at the front somewhere... I have tightened up everything I can see so tomorrow will see.

She got to temp twice and and everything cooled as it should and then I start to put panels back and generally get her back together.

Oh and I managed to get electric to the garage now :D :D :D :D

The next job I started was adjust the front guards as they droop... tweaked them a bit and they seem better... the next time I need to take them off I will tweak them with a big bar but for now it will do :D

Friday I am back the garage to finish off the arches and give her a clean down and get her ready for stoneleigh then that is me done :D

Danny

Administrator
A very slow start for me today... got to the garage for midday and bumped into someone that owns a large chunk of land near the garage so we had a long chat and well lets just say it may all pan out ok...

So today was all about getting the buggy run up and checking for leaks... ok when I say checking I mean finding as there will always be something leaking and there still seems to be water leaving the buggy at the front somewhere... I have tightened up everything I can see so tomorrow will see.

She got to temp twice and and everything cooled as it should and then I start to put panels back and generally get her back together.

Oh and I managed to get electric to the garage now :D :D :D :D

The next job I started was adjust the front guards as they droop... tweaked them a bit and they seem better... the next time I need to take them off I will tweak them with a big bar but for now it will do :D

Friday I am back the garage to finish off the arches and give her a clean down and get her ready for stoneleigh then that is me done :D

Danny

Administrator
Well that was a duck of a day...

Head gasket has gone.... ffs

Changed the thermostat and checked the old one and the old one opened up fine... ffs

So as always there is now a bit of a rush to get this done as I only have a few days before I need to have it finished... as always the pressure is on
bf84b554cd91e6a1ce312d562fd13bc3.jpg

Danny

Administrator
Early start today as I wanted to cracking on with the head gasket.

First stop to buy the head gasket for my local mg supplier...

£230 odd later (trade price) and I was on my way back to the garage.

Progress was slow and methodical but I hope it pays off...

19edaadfa1fadad2e274fac6c53c732d.jpg

There was one head bolt that got in the way of a lug... so a bit of jiggle and swearing and that came out....

The fair right cylinder is full of water :-/ and you can see from the gasket that it looks like it has been about to go for a.long time...

d080fe31649a8db5237f13f9978a9038.jpg

The head is off and I just need to take the cam shafts out and then take the tappets out as I want to clean and oil them up... I am not going to touch the valves (that may change) although the idea of changing the valve stem oil seals is appealing... but then it's not blowing smoke..... hmmmmm

Monday morning I am off to the engineers shop and he is going to skim the head and show me how it is done :)

The uprated headgasket kit comes with a sump oil ladder so I need to take the sump off as well... I was not going to bother doing this but the new engine bolts are designed for the new ladder so I will be tempting fate if I don't. .. it's expensive in parts to have to re do it all again... oh and time... I really don't have any time!!!

Danny

Administrator
This was today... cleaning the tappets in the lounge... tomorrow is a big day :) let's hope it goes well :)
4d6e774e3f6cdffcd05febb64873301b.jpg
3f10a7c8c3e044af3c26fa386c31b221.jpg
9c04db70b572f19fb9b34b5d54a7c564.jpg
6810b77ed6e26cc01031392705b78d5f.jpg
8a30e71eab7b0a74087b45bbb005e12c.jpg

Danny

Administrator
I had the head skimmed on monday morning by my mate wobbly and the head was in good shape so really was just a clean :D

Got all the cams in and sorted and then started to put the buggy back together :D

I fitted the sump oil ladder which was a fiddle but if you ask people online some say do it and others say dont... but I figured it was belt and braces approach :D

That was the end of yesterday :D

Today I started early and trundled on... had help from my mate graeme he also has a relaxed work ethic so we often spend the days doing what we can to not work :D

Anyway... got everything on... over torqued up a cam pulley but think I got away with that :D then fitted the cam belt and did the 2 x rotations... a fudge... it wont turn all the way... ;bugger.. must have the cams in wrong 180 degrees out... a quick panic call to my mate ro and he arrives and we pulled the cam wheels off and he was like... hmm they are ok... then he asked if it was in gear.... whoops!!!

Anyway she fired up... a bit smokey and a bit rattly but she ran :D The rattles from the lifters getting filled up and smoke I think is just burning off all the excess rubbish :D

tomorrow I need to bleed the system and the throw the panels on and take it for a spin round the block to be sure she is good for stoneleigh then she goes away till the day before stoneleigh... Wish me luck :D