Danny's K Series Conversion Project

Danny

Administrator
At my mates engineering shop
e64008e66f611afca8fcc0bbb9ff9764.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
Fired her up today and the rattle tappet quietened down and the smoke stopped :D Wahooo

I could not get the airlocks out so have bought a vacuum filler... will see if that works tomorrow :D Fingers crossed :D

Danny

Administrator
Wow!!!

The vacuum coolant filler tool was awesome!! Literally 10 minutes and the system was bled and filled :D No air locks :D

She is ready for stoneleigh just cleaning now :D

Danny

Administrator
It was suggested that I take the buggy for a spin before stoneleigh as there may be issues... what could go wrong???

Well I dragged her out the garage and drove up the road and thought she was a bit under powered... fast forward 2 miles and every time I change gear the front dives and feels like the brakes are on...

I notice smoke and managed to get to a safe place... Well the rear o/s caliper was smoking a lot and I sat there scratching my head!!!
cad4c75c6f3267c0705b534ee850593b.jpg

AN hour passes and the buggy can move again and so I trundle home... no problems..

I get home strip the caliper down and find not much wrong.. put it all back together and and all seems well!!

5dd640b13d26d8ed93cacb9392cb19e7.jpg

007955f054a327b34913a1be3d714487.jpg

Go back out and trundling at low speeds no problems... get on the 60 mph roads and boom once again brakes are slammed on and I am sat in the middle of an S bend parked up!!

A key factor I noticed was that the brake peddle was rock hard and the front brake discs where also warm... then it click!!

The brake light switch had wound it self up and was effectively dragging brakes... I took that off then the buggy was flying again... literally... forgot how quick that was!!!

While I was trundling about I noticed the front arms where not moving much... ffs and while I was parked up I saw that the arms were sat on the bump stops... FFS

So in wednesday night (after a funeral) I need to pull the front end off and most likely cut the outside casings off the shockers (I knew I should have done that) and hopefully that will solve that problem!!!

I still have not managed to get the buggy up to temperature on the main road yet either so I cant be sure that the cooling issues have been fixed :-\

After thursday I am off to Monaco for 2 weeks then when I get back I have 1 day to finish the buggy for stoneleigh... as always its going to be tight!!!

Danny

Administrator
Had a funeral to go to on Wednesday but in the evening I managed to strip the front of the buggy and found this...

So I took out the shocks and cut off the covers and straightened the panel and put back together.

I also adjusted the brake light switch and all seems to be working well :)

Took her out for a spin as well and she ran perfect... :)

Painted my rear side engine panels black as I think this may help with the looks of the car... might look pants but we shall see :)

All that is left for Stoneleigh is washing and refitting a couple of panels and we are good (I think)

I am off to Monaco on the bike now so will see you all in a couple of weeks xxx
7ebdc23b8e7aad7ccbfec8b41420f1bf.jpg

Danny

Administrator
Well I am all ready :D

Mearly got the welder out yesterday to make a quick change but I knew how that would end so I will do that mod next week when I get a spare few hours :D

Looking forward to stoneleigh... probably bringing the drone and stuff (pays for my beer)

Should be good :D

Danny

Administrator
Right so after Stoneleigh I now have a list of stuff to do before my next jolly out..

Fill in holes on firewall
New disks and pads (warped)
Fit water pump
Refurbished alloys
Fit spare wheel
Repair exhaust mounts
Wheel alignment
New tyres

Danny

Administrator
So a little update :D

I found a good priced new water pump £57 which I thought was ok

I have found 2 good alloy wheels these will replaced my damaged front wheels and 1 front wheel will become my spare :D

I have bought all the electrical bits for eh waterpump to make it work for the ignition off run on thing :D

Tyres (oddly) look ok still so going to drag another year out of them if I can then I will repaint and what not next year.

Need to keep hold of as many pennies as I can as I have a big project coming up (if all goes well this week) and will make me skint for a couple of years :D

So with a bit of luck this week I should be ready for wales :D

owelly

Just a quickie:
I'm stuffing a MGF engine and subframe up the arse of my buggy and the MGF subframe is wider than the Metro one. Did you make new mounting points on the chassis/frame or alter the subframe ?

Danny

Administrator
owelly":27h6gtuc said:
Just a quickie:
I'm stuffing a MGF engine and subframe up the arse of my buggy and the MGF subframe is wider than the Metro one. Did you make new mounting points on the chassis/frame or alter the subframe ?

The MGF frame just fits behind the freestyle but because I used the TF subframe I had to ad about 35mm to the width either side

owelly

Yeah, that looks about the same for mine. I think I'll just weld in a couple of mounts alongside the current ones on the rear of the chassis and see where the rearmost supports want to be.
Thank you

Danny

Administrator
haha

The problem with MGF is the suspension hydro gas units are expensive!! Which is why I went down the TF route :D

Danny

Administrator
Right Today I spent most of the morning looking for my BMW car keys to find that the cleaner had knocked them off with the hoover.... grrrr

But still I managed to get to the garage and I got new front pads and disks fitted :D A nice quick easy job and now I have started on filling that space behind the firewall :D

Once this small job is done then it is a case of fitting my electric water pump and my mate Twiz coming round to wire it in :D

I am also going to re do the wheel alignment on the buggy ready for wales :D

Danny

Administrator
I used duct tape to see how it would look and I think it will be OK. .. well better than it as anyway
3ed5a0ab276a81f6d63e8bf227b333fc.jpg
770a8668176ed572669e82d16d8240e1.jpg
3e3f2521b571e3fbb840021661e96632.jpg

Danny

Administrator
Today I was late getting to the garage and had to mess about with the tig welder as I was in the red with the gas so was half expecting to need to go and get some more.

Well it went pretty well.. took the bad edges off and looks OK

I will tidy it up tomorrow if I need to...

And tomorrow I am making a bracket to support my exhaust and also my friend is wiring the water pump to work as well :)
9c7ea3c036dd9bc3e91d19b6713b4baa.jpg
653c3afd8880a165f0e86c8374e2117e.jpg

owelly

Thanks Phaeton and Danny. I've had a good read through your posts and it's given me a few ideas for mine. I've already got the subframe out of the buggy and I can see where the new mounts need to be. I may make the wheel base a bit longer to get more room in front of the engine to make room for further developments. ;-)

Danny

Administrator
Not sure what mods I need to do now... got wheel alignment to tweek and that is about it... ready for wales :D

A week before there will be a mad panic there always is :D

Danny

Administrator
On a side note in about 6 weeks I may have solved my storage issues :D May have also created a 10000 other issues but at least I will have storage again :D

Danny

Administrator
Waterpump finally fitted and wired in and working and I think we fixed the drain on the battery :D Just need to put it all back together now and get it mot'd ready for wales :D

Got about a days worth or tinkering :D