Lilspeed's "about flippin time" Freestyle Discussion Thread

Lilspeed

Mini Mad Max":nrwo3dbg said:
Nice idea with the fuel tank too, you won't have to create any complicated bulkhead over the gear tunnel if it's just on the passenger side!
Max

My thinking exactly! Definitely the easiest (read laziest ;D ) solution for me.

Thanks for the encouragment chaps. Much appreciated ;)

Feels good to be doing jobs that seemed a long way off once.

Danny

Administrator
looking good and tank seems like a good solution... to a problem that appears to not exist now...lol

Looking forward to seeing it at stoneleigh :)

Phaeton

Staff member
I think he means that if you double skin a behind the seat tank & have drainage then it will be fine for IVA.

Although how he expects you to bring it to Stoneleigh when the show was last month I'm not sure.

Alan..

wagon

I (Steve) double skinned mine, and it really does almost put the seats too far forward on retrospect. Bit squished in my buggy!

You buggy looks very tidy I like it.

Love the orange detail on the motor - I did similar on my truck!

P1090526.jpg

Lilspeed

Phaeton":293187z8 said:
I think he means that if you double skin a behind the seat tank & have drainage then it will be fine for IVA.

Although how he expects you to bring it to Stoneleigh when the show was last month I'm not sure.

Alan..

Ah right. Didn't fancy the full width tank, and all I got with the kit was 2 unusable fire extinguishers! - Mild steel and plastic lined :(
So I'm making it up as I go here!

Stoneleigh next year perhaps? :)

Thanks Wagon! It's pure good fortune that the GRP seats I ordered are quite reclined when I've got a comfortable driving position, so there's room for a dinky tank behind even when they're as far back as they'll go.

What's the motor out of then? VW? Love the spikey cam cover bolts!
The choice of colour scheme was down to one of my buggy's 3 (that I know of) previous builders! It came with the front GRP cover painted in the burnt orange off the Focus ST. Nice too that my mate's one has orange frame and black panels so they should look ace parked up together.

wagon

It was Plasticote florescent orange I used :) Its a TD from a VW.

Tank looks great but - aren't you worried about the range?

Lilspeed

That's orange Plastikote on mine too! Oddly enough I spotted the paint I needed when my mate customised his xbox!

339992_2535650554332_1345638000_2857543_1970220736_o.jpg

Believe it or not that little tank holds 11.5 litres(2.5 gallons). I'd done the maths before but still had to fill it with water to make sure!
That'll be over 12 litres with the filler neck on.

So working with 12 litres, and say 40mpg, that'll give me 105 miles from full tank to walking, or maybe 80 odd miles before I start looking for a garage.

I think I'll be able to live with that, but if I do get fed up with filling up I can always fit another tank behind the driver's seat.

Mini Mad Max

Nice progress!! I fancey a pair of seats like yours too. Are they from kitparts direct? Nice subframes too. Look pretty damn sturdy ;)

Mini Mad Max

Nice :) I bought similar seats a while back but they are a bit too narrow for even a skinny fella like myself! Also I like the IVA friendly lip on the kitpartsdirect ones and the harness cut aways around the waist. Do you reckon you could fit these straight to runners, as in does the bottom of the seat look flat enough? With the old seats i bought, there is a big domed bit in the bottom so runners would have to be spaced off :/ Seriously considering some seats like yours instead now :p
Max

Lilspeed

Mini Mad Max":160m7nxi said:
Nice :) I bought similar seats a while back but they are a bit too narrow for even a skinny fella like myself!

Ok, I have to say these seats are very snug on me to the point that if I were a bit wider they might be a no go! They fit me very close across the ribs and hips. So, luckily for you I'm not female and am quite happy to tell you that I'm 39" around the chest, and 34" waist. ;D If you're skinnier than me you'll be fine!

Mini Mad Max":160m7nxi said:
Do you reckon you could fit these straight to runners, as in does the bottom of the seat look flat enough? With the old seats i bought, there is a big domed bit in the bottom so runners would have to be spaced off :/

Unfortunately these also protrude between the mounting faces underneath :-\
IMAG0161.jpg

The other problem with mounting them on runners is that there's not really enough space in the buggy to move them anywhere!
Next time I'm over the workshop I'll get some better pics of how they fit in mine. ;)

Mini Mad Max

Ahhh okay! Hahahaa! I'm 32" waist, it was across the chest that was a bit too snug on my seats! Lovely subframes ;) The runners aren't a problem for me as i need all the leg room i can get, but i would like to be able to remove the upper bulkhead behind the seats to gain access to the front of the engine, and i don't think that would be possible if i have the seats fixed as far back as possible. What do you think? This is all very helpful! :)
Max

Lilspeed

Right. Totally agree about bulkhead access, that's part of the idea behind my subframes; Not being able to move the seats out the way I decided to make them as easy as possible to remove. So there's rivnuts in the new crossmembers I've welded in, and just the 4 pretty easily accessible bolts on each seat to lift them out. Maybe something similar would work for yours?

Anyway, I'm popping over the workshop to measure up for battery cable later so I'll get some pics.

Lilspeed

Cheers Alan!!

Right here you go Max,
You can see here the driver seat sits about 10mm away from the bulkhead....
IMAG0224.jpg

Which also leaves very little clearance here....
IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

and even less on the passenger side as the seat sits around 20mm further forward to clear the fuel tank housing! :eek:

So I think you can see there's really no room for any real amount of front to back adjustment with these seats :( But I've scanned the IVA manual and as far as I can see there's no requirement for the seat to have adjustment so I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed there, and hope the bloke who does the test can reach the pedals! :p

Mini Mad Max

Thanks for the photos!! It looks like there is no way of getting the upper bulkhead out there without removing the seats because as you say their is no real space to move them forward. May have to make do with my current seats. It would certainly save me some money! But they might be a compromise on the comfort being so narrow :p
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
What I have done with the Elise seats is mount a 25x25 box across the actual seat which in turn is hinged to a 25x25 box which bolts to the floor then at the back I have made another bracket which bolts to the floor that you can get to the bolts. So to get the back panel off I undo the bolts at the back & tilt the seat forward, not sure if this is an option for you. Seat doesn't have to be adjustable for IVA.

Alan...