Lilspeed's "about flippin time" Freestyle Discussion Thread

Lilspeed

No worries Rich. There were quite a few different mudguards/cycle wings available on eBay when I was looking for mine.

I'm sure you'll work something out!

Phaeton

Staff member
Whilst you have the opportunity, I would spin the rods & remote gear change around, so it's facing the correct way, it gives a better gear change & you can also put a reverse switch in which will work correctly, you now need reversing lights for IVA.

2010-04-03132942.jpg

2010-04-03132948.jpg

You may have to modify you cover slightly as it shifts the position of the stick slightly, but a mod well worth doing

Alan...

Lilspeed

Aww nuts, really annoyed I didn't know about that trick Alan! Looks like it makes a much neater job of it.

I think it might be more trouble than it's worth for me to change it all now. I had already worked out that the reverse light switch would need moving so was planning to fix a tab onto the rod and mount the switch on a bracket behind the gear remote.

Thanks for the heads up anyway, maybe a job for a later date.

Phaeton

Staff member
The reversing switch doesn't have to be automatic & can be a manual switch but will need a tell-tale if not, I would personally still change it, but others have run years the old way round.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Looking good, what diameter is the outside edge of the engine cover? I got caught with that on my first one. I'm sure you know but you will also need something to sop you getting into the engine bay from the sides.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
I still dont have a reversing light....

Looking good now :)

excuse my typing I am using tapatalk :)

Lilspeed

Cheers chaps!

The engine cover frame is made of 6mm round bar so shouldn't be a problem there, and I have made some frames to fit in the sides too but they're not fitted at the moment. The whole lot will be meshed in. I'm thinking all that will be the last job to do while I wait for my test date.

To be honest Danny I can't see me ever really needing a reversing light (my Mini doesn't have one), but the man at VOSA says I have to! ::)

Got the N/S side panel on! Quick cuppa then out to fit the O/S.

If I squint at it from the right angle now it almost looks finished! :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Fanfffffffffffffffastiic news, well done for hanging on in there, whoop whoop another Freestyle on the road, well nearly the retest will be a piece of wee wee, the next hurdle is the dreaded DVLA :D

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Well done, get it registered & join us on the Wales run

Alan

excuse my typing I am using Danny's spelling skills

Lilspeed

Phaeton":a1525811 said:
Well done, get it registered & join us on the Wales run

Alan

Well if DVLA aren't too much trouble, :-\ I should be on the road in 2 - 3 weeks time. I'll bear it in mind Alan!

I'm definitely doing the International Mini Meeting. Anyone else?

Lilspeed

Cheers Steve!

Looking forward to doing as many events as I can with the buggy in whatever is left of the summer by the time it's roadworthy!

Phaeton

Staff member
Well done, they are good fun & yes you do get stared at, most people have cooling issue, full cure is FMR front mounted radiator, but others have helped by adding an electric fan. It will depend on whether your engine is standard or tuned. I have a couple of old Metro fans if want one of them sending down

Alan

Phaeton

Staff member
Should have done what Danny did to test if the old tank could be welded drop a lighted match in whilst looking in the hole, ;uckily when the 9ft flame came out he was quick enough to move