Lilspeed's "about flippin time" Freestyle Discussion Thread

Mini Mad Max

I did think about hinging the seats, but the solution that i came up with was not very sturdy. Fancey uploading some pictures for us to see alan? ;)
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry Max, completely forgot about this, will try over the next few days if it ever stops raining.

Great work on the rear brakes, have to say it's one of the things I love about the Freestyle, how everybody comes up with a different solution to the same issue. One person develops something & the the next person improves on it, brilliant

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

It's okay Alan! I'm part way through mounting the seats already, so i should be fine :) I also agree with you there, It's interesting to see everyone's buggies together in one place like at stoneleigh and compare different approaches to the same things. It always gives me inspiration ;)
Max

jason_l

Buggy is looking Great. Its really coming along now, shouldn't be long and you will be driving it about 8)

As others have said you have got round some of the problems really well. The arched brackets on the rear brakes are fantastic, hope they don't bend and last, looks like they should.

Jason :D

Lilspeed

Cheers guys :)

I totally agree with you about the Freestyle Alan. I think it's the fact that it's quite a basic kit - requiring a bit of engineering and fab'ing - that makes everyone's end results really individual and interesting.

Managed to get my engine running sweet at the weekend. Ran it up to temp and torqued the head down. Other than that there wasn't a lot to show for a weekend's work! Gear linkage tweeks, made some exhaust mountings and finished off the pedal box by welding in a stop for the pedals to reduce the travel so they don't touch the steering rack and that was about it.

Shoud be moving under it's own steam in the next week or two :)

jason_l

Just looked at your build diary and read about the rear arch's. I have been pondering about doing mine now for at least a year i think. Think its bout time i got mine made up and looked at mounting them. Im looking to do something similar and seeing yours means i shouldn't have too much trouble. ;D

Looking good O0

Jason

Lilspeed

Cheers Jason!
Nice to know that my tinkerings are inspiring others to make progress! ;)

The arch brackets are made from 12mm dia mild steel bar and 6mm thick plate. If you need any more info or pics let me know :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Are the stays only attached into the fibreglass on that edge that can be seen or is there a stay that goes across? Only ask as if they are edge only they are likely to tear after the first journey, the buggies do vibrate quite dramatically.

Alan..

Lilspeed

No Alan, the two arms of the brackets are only attached together by the arch itself. I definitely see what you're saying, and I did consider putting in a bracing piece to strengthen the whole affair.
The reason I didn't is that a)the Atoms don't have them, and b) the arches are VERY lightweight GRP compared to the originals, and I thought it might be better to have a bit of flex in the bracket rather than mounting the arch too rigidly and having it break off at it's mounting points.

But I'll be keeping a close eye on them for sure! First sign of cracking and I'll be out with the welder!

Phaeton

Staff member
Probably need the rear brakes adjusting up they may have centraled out

Alan

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ChaosMS

Lilspeed, looking good - i like the idea of a storage space on the passenger side!, and the wheel arches are very smart where did you get them from?

Rich

Lilspeed

Thanks Rich! :)

I want to be able to disappear off for a day in the buggy so thought it would be good to have somewhere secure to stash a few tools or whatever. I'm planning to hinge the GRP front cover at it's front edge for access, and have some lovely lockable Aerocatches (great minds think alike eh? ;) ) to fix it down at the top.

The arches came from a company called SRD Mouldings on Ebay. Very helpful chap he was too. I went for the 2.5mm thick standard duty ones but they also do a heavy duty thicker version.

Justin

ChaosMS

Justin,

Those aerocatches are fantastic things -a little fiddly to set up when your doing the brackets - I found drilling only the center hole for the mounting pin then using the bonnet in place with the pin flipped upside down (so the thread protrudes through the bonnet and can be bolted down) was the best way to ensure the mounting brackets were correctly aligned then when the brackets were welded in place i cut out the teardrop cutout for the full aerocatch, the whole lot went together really smooth!

Are you going for the straight black ones like mine (so you can paint them the same as your bonnet then) or the carbon look? - I have to admit I like the look of the straight black ones and I think ill leave them black and not paint them.

Ill check out SRD - I have some plastic arches that were designed for trucks but they need some major work to fit them to the buggy (dosen't everything!! ;D )

Rich

Lilspeed

Aerocatches are lovely. I knew what I wanted but didn't know what they were called to start with! I bought them at Autosport back in January and have been itching to fit them but the dash/front cover arrangement hasn't progressed far enough yet. I just take them out of the packet and play with them regularly ;D

Thanks for the tips! I must admit I have been wondering about the best way to align them.
Mine are the plain black ones too. I wasn't planning to paint them as I can only see it chipping off with use.

The Atom arches would definitely look good on your buggy. If you need any measurements or pics let me know ;)

ChaosMS

Justin, I have had a look on ebay for SRD Moldings and I found the ones you have however there are no measurements just a photo of them on a car, I doubt the standard sizes would cover my tyres or have the right diameter to ensure they cover the correct section of tyre for the IVA - the tyres I'm using are big offroad tyres with a full tyre width of 230mmand a rolling diameter of 690mm - what are the sizes of the arches you have?

Rich

Lilspeed

wagon":31cyq8y1 said:
Buggy looks really good sir!

Cheers Alistair! Slowly but surely getting there :)

wagon":31cyq8y1 said:
Are you sure that the arches will be IVA cool?

With a bit of edge trim I hope so. What do you think? They do look a bit minimal compared to the originals I must admit but they're more than 30deg in front of wheel centre line and 50deg behind, less than 150mm from back edge to wheel centre, covering full tyre width. Is there anything else I need to worry about?

ChaosMS":31cyq8y1 said:
Justin, I have had a look on ebay for SRD Moldings and I found the ones you have however there are no measurements just a photo of them on a car, I doubt the standard sizes would cover my tyres or have the right diameter to ensure they cover the correct section of tyre for the IVA - the tyres I'm using are big offroad tyres with a full tyre width of 230mmand a rolling diameter of 690mm - what are the sizes of the arches you have?

Rich

Rich, I'm heading over to the workshop tomorrow evening so will get some measurements up for you then. I forgot about the mahoosive boots on your buggy!
Unlikely they'll be any use if your tyres are 230mm wide though as they cover my 7" wide rims with 175/50s perfectly :(

ChaosMS

Justin,

Thanks mate I know they will probably be too small, but the question is would it be easier to modify those to fit or the plastic ones I have now??

Cheers

Rich

Lilspeed

Right, my arches measure 208mm wide inside. And by lying them all end to end on the floor they make a circle of around 670mm dia inside at the centre of the arch. Hope that helps Rich!

ChaosMS

Justin,

Thanks for the info looks like I would need to slice them up in both directions to make them work, I might be better sticking to the ones I have - thanks for checking though, I'll have to have a think on whats the better option!

Rich