Mr Bumble's Phaeton's Discussion Thread

Danny

Administrator
For the air lock I have  along pipe that I have Tee ing off the heater control it works perefct.. I then stick  bolt in the top :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Steves2580":n0kzosci said:
Tyre valve, what a wicked idea!

Loving the work Alan, have you know got a heater matrix plumed in too??

Steve.

Thank you, we used to use something similar on temporary joint closures when I worked for BT many years ago. Heater matrix has been there a couple of years, got another motorcycle fan mounted below pushing warmth down onto my feet.

wagon":n0kzosci said:
yep. very clever

Cheers

Alan...

mud68

Hi Alan, nice to see someone else going the front rad route. Been living with mine for 12 months now (for those who haven't seen it see > the place to meet and say hello > Front rad / turbo'd buggy on the road).
The Skoda Felicia rad fits in nicely, the buggy has never boiled over, electric fan keeps it under control in standing traffic. once it's moving you don't need the fan even on motorways.
It's worth putting a manual switch in to cut the fan in earlier to prevent 'overtemps' especially in traffic.

Think you might need to cut a few more holes in the nose as well and a big one in the base after the the rad to get the air flow thro'.

Electric pumps search ebay for Craig Davies water pumps, aussie firm do different flow rate pumps and thermo controllers - expensive but good. can't find a cheaper alternative if i could I would do it, like you said make a fixture to bolt to the water inlet, then remove thermostat and adjust pump speed to control flow / engine temp.

Battery - i put mine above the passengers footwell on a frame, in a box. More weight in the front the better.

keep up the good work. Shaun

Phaeton

Staff member
mud68":2syh2pww said:
Think you might need to cut a few more holes in the nose as well and a big one in the base after the the rad to get the air flow thro'.

Cheers Shaun, intention is to have the fan controller switch one fan on first & then bring the 2nd in if needed, but I will also have a switch which as you suggest will override the controller & put both fans on full blast.

I'll bear the more holes at the front suggestion will see how it goes, I've removed all the floor of the nose as it was behind the radiator to allow the air to escape, also intend to block the top of the radiator off so it forces the air downwards if that makes sense.

Alan...

CAW

Hi Alan,

I like the valve idea, had a honda accord some years back, that had a little bleed thing on the top of the engine, long as it works ;D

Also did you pop to IKEA then, good for the money I think

Andy.......buggy wanna be at the mo

Mini Mad Max

I like the emental effect in the lower nose, I didn't think it would look as good... I'll definitely be putting a bumper and lamp attachments on the front of mine, It looks so right on yours haha :)
I want to know the results of your handy work now and see if you have found a more efficient/tidy way of sorting the freestyle's cooling issues!
Max

jason_l

Looks great Alan, like Max has said i really like the look of the front with all the holes in the chequer plate.

Might be worth moving the lower set of lamps out more to help with air flow as well? Although i don't know if that would change the look of the front for the worse?

Jason :D

Mini Mad Max

RESULT! :) Like the off centre number plate now too... Only criticism is that is the battery terminal not a tad too close to the filler neck??
Max

jason_l

Looking great Alan! Good to know the front mount rad is working well and the plate actually looks pretty good at the side  ;D

I thought about getting a small gel battery as well but decided against it as the normal ones are so cheap and easy to source and replace  :D

Mini Mad Max

GEL Batteries may claim to be more rugid and good at coping with high heat, hig vibration etc, but they're actually high maintainance, and when not in use need to be disconnected or kept on a trickle charge or they die :/ And yeah a hell of a lot more expensive than traditional lead acid :)

Danny

Administrator
looking good :)

why dont you get a smaller longer plate and mount it underneath the nose... kinder like the 7's do?

tiggersmini

Looking very good like the front mounted rad and the vent holes make the buggy look mean coupled with the low stance. Agree with Max about the battery being very close to the filler neck, may have to put a fire wall inbetween.

Phaeton

Staff member
I know it looks wrong & one of the reasons I was looking at a gel battery. The terminal nearest the filler is the earth, the tank is earthed so there theoretically there should be no difference in potential. It's all in an open space, I do understand the concerns, but cannot see the issue, but I really  am happy to be enlightened if I am missing something.

Alan...

BRUC3

Looking good Alan!!!

Im looking through everyones updates and getting green eyed as I havent worked on my buggy for nearly 7 weeks now! :(

I have however been working on my house, which isn't so bad as its on the market as of tuesday. Added 30k onto the value of the house in 6 weeks! :D

I'l stick some pics up in my build thread incase anyone is interested!

CAW

Hi Alan,

You must be pleased that the temp seems sorted  8), re : battery, the only thing I can see is, The batt clamp bar, I'd get some black rubber tube, slit it along it's lenght ( of Battery ) and feed it under from the posts side. ...........well I know what I mean lol.....think of it like the L shape, then wrapping a C around one side of the L............Or move bar to the other side of battery
Then make a cover out of rubber mat type stuff to stop anyone messing around, theres some nobs about :mad: :'(, like arcing across the terminals/ theft/. But the battery still needs the breath.

No news on mine yet, other than Andy Baloo's started on the welding of it, but it's a bit different main rollbar over your head, so It's still 100 miles from me at the moment and i've still not seen it yet. But it wont be long now :)

Then the questions will start  ::)

Andy